PDA

View Full Version : Which PPL books?(again*)

dodos9
4th Feb 2011, 19:26
*similar topics can be found on this and other forums...

...but even know that a lot of people shared their opinions, I still don't know which ones to buy. Just to make it a little bit easier, I am stuck between Trevor Thom and Jeremy M Pratt ones. I have heard that both these sets are good, but Jeremy M Pratt ones are better explained, while Trevor Thom ones contain more information. I have read loads of the opinions so far, but every time I think I know which ones to get, I read another opinion and my decision changes. So, I would be more than happy to read some other opinions and reasons for them. There is a good offer on flightstore.co.uk (sorry if I shouldn't put web address in my post) until the end of February, so I would really like to buy one set of books until then. I am only fifteen and starting to absorb some knowledge is the best and the only thing I can do now towards my further aviation career.

P.S. I was trying to get hold of at least one book from each of these two sets from library, but they don't have them. I was thinking that maybe you could help me and maybe send me some sample pictures of one or two pages, so I could read and compare the style of writing and amount of diagrams in both sets of books (I hope it is not illegal to do that)

Thanks for help in advance

Regards

dodos9

mrmum
4th Feb 2011, 23:33
As you're apparently near Manchester Airport, why not just trot yourself down to your local AFE shop, just off the end of RWY 24R, and have a look at the actual books.

Airplan Flight Equipment Ltd
1a Ringway Trading Estate
Shadowmoss Road
Manchester
M22 5LH

Ryan5252
4th Feb 2011, 23:44
have a look at the actual books.Failing this, scoot over to one of the many PPL schools and have a chat with an Instructror. Either way, try not to get too worked up about buying a book - if you find its not for you just buy the alternative, you will always be able to sell any books you no longer require.

have read loads of the opinions so far, but every time I think I know which ones to get, I read another opinion and my decision changes. So, I would be more than happy to read some other opinions and reasons for them. Too many 'opinions' confuse you. In an effort to resolve this confussion you decided to seek even more 'opinions'? Im confussed! ;)

Go see an instructor and they will steer you well (also a good excuse to get in to see/nose what the different schools are like - you will eventually have to pick one after all!)

Good Luck
Ryan:ok:

Morris542
5th Feb 2011, 04:10
Go see an instructor and they will steer you well

At your stage it is best to ask an instructor for advice. They will point you in the right direction in terms of your future study.

I used the Air Pilot's Manual (Godwin and Robson) and found the whole series very useful. They contain a very good question and answer section that was very useful for my PPL exams. I can't recommend them enough. I'm still using them for post PPL study - re-reading sections and using them to brush up forgotten bits of the syllabus. The have been an invaluable tool for me.

kevmusic
5th Feb 2011, 08:13
Good to see a 15 year-old who can actually write, punctuate and spell. You'll go far, young man! :ok:

dodos9
5th Feb 2011, 09:58
As you're apparently near Manchester Airport, why not just trot yourself down to your local AFE shop, just off the end of RWY 24R, and have a look at the actual books.
Can you actually get inside the store and have a look at the books(I thought it is just a warehouse)? Do they have Trevor Thom books as well or do they only sell Jeremy M Pratt ones(on their website there are only Jeremy M Pratt ones)?

Go see an instructor and they will steer you well(also a good excuse to get in to see/nose what the different schools are like - you will eventually have to pick one after all!)
I have already been to one of the flying schools at Barton Airfield to ask what they think about PPL books. They said that both sets (Trevor Thom and Jeremy M Pratt) are good and they have enough information to pass the exams. They couldn't give more specific advice, because they don't know me, so they can't figure out which ones would be the best for me(it's all about the way in which I prefer to learn, I suppose)

Too many 'opinions' confuse you. In an effort to resolve this confussion you decided to seek even more 'opinions'? Im confussed!
You are right. It is a bit weird to ask for more opinions, knowing that too many of them confuse me. By saying 'more opinions' in the first post, I also meant 'more advices on what to do'. :)

Good to see a 15 year-old who can actually write, punctuate and spell. You'll go far young man!
Thank you very much. I am doing my best. :)

Teejman
5th Feb 2011, 10:44
Dodos, I would agree with the others, take a look at both sets. Before you buy, check sources other than aviation shops, I got mine through Smiths at a much reduced cost, order them on line and have them delivered to your local shop, saves delivery charges.

mrmum
5th Feb 2011, 22:38
The premises at Manchester do have a shop as well as the warehouse I think, at least there was one last time I visited.
They may have the APM (Thom) range of books as well as AFE's (Pratt), but obviously they are going to favour their own series. I believe that they and Pooleys now cross sell each other's ranges. If you want to be sure email or phone them before you go.

dodos9
6th Feb 2011, 10:36
Dodos, I would agree with the others, take a look at both sets. Before you buy, check sources other than aviation shops, I got mine through Smiths at a much reduced cost, order them on line and have them delivered to your local shop, saves delivery charges.
I am trying to compare both sets before buying one of them. By the way, as I said in my first post there is a good discount on one of the websites and I compared prices to other shops and the best price you can find is in the one with discount.

The premises at Manchester do have a shop as well as the warehouse I think, at least there was one last time I visited.
They may have the APM (Thom) range of books as well as AFE's (Pratt), but obviously they are going to favour their own series. I believe that they and Pooleys now cross sell each other's ranges. If you want to be sure email or phone them before you go.
Thanks a lot for information. I will email/phone them on Monday and see what they say.

thing
15th Feb 2011, 17:34
Easy one this time, is the general consensus to go for the Trevor Thom or Guy Pratt manuals for the PPL exams? I don't like flowery language in study books, I like the 'learn this and learn that, job done' approach.

Mickey Kaye
15th Feb 2011, 17:37
Pratt. Although If you want brief then don't overlook Pooleys

thing
15th Feb 2011, 17:42
Ta very much.