PDA

View Full Version : Location Indicators

The Fat Controller
31st Oct 2001, 22:48
Why do most people use the IATA codes for airfields instead of the ICAO 4 letter designators ?
In the current threads on Belfast City Airport (EGAC), even pilots are referring to BHD, and if I sent you there as an ATCO you would end up overflying a VOR in Devon !
Also, where can I find a decode for these 3 letter codes, I work in an ATC centre, not a Travel Agency !

sanjosebaz
1st Nov 2001, 00:11
Yeah - what's the history of the UK codes? Why not just add a letter to the IATA codes like they do in the US (as in KJFK, KORD, KLAX, KSFO, etc.)? Or are they just designed to confuse the innocent? :confused:

PaperTiger
1st Nov 2001, 01:19
There are many airport de-code sites. I like this one for flexibility. http://www8.ewebcity.com/Aircrafthanger/airportcodesearch.asp
The ICAO codes have a geographical component, E = Europe, G= Gt. Britain which would only leave 2 for the individual airport. They are confusing though - Luton always fools me, surely EGGW ought to be Europe/Gt. Britain/GatWick :)

PPRuNe Radar
1st Nov 2001, 04:27
The UK codes have an ICAO Region, Country, and Country region element, which actually only leaves only one letter for individual allocation.

Now of course if we had a single letter for both region and country then we could adopt the US system, but since our ICAO region consists of more than a few countries it's not going to happen. The IATA codes would also soon run out if every airfield with an ICAO code was given an IATA one.

Guess ICAO was formed before IATA and represents more of the industry so 'Grandfather' rights should apply ;)

DownIn3Green
1st Nov 2001, 05:52
Accu-qwik has a code/de code, as do the Jepps.

The Fat Controller
1st Nov 2001, 20:33
Thank you for your replies and opinions.
I am still inclined to agree with "The Boss", especially as the 3 letters in my original post are either an airport in Northern Ireland or a VOR in Devon,England...
To those of you that drive big jets, I've noticed my destination is always an ICAO code in your FMS!
At least these designators are totally unique and cannot be confused in an aviation sense........but don't get me onto ships' callsigns .......which just happen to have 4 letters......

FL310
2nd Nov 2001, 00:29
TFC...the aeroplane registration consists actually of 6 signs...5 letters or a combination of figures and letters and a -
You are right that in the UK there are 4 letters behind the -
but in a lot of countries there are only 3...like The Netherlands or Belgium... :D
The IATA three letter code is for most people more revealing than the ICAO code..
JFK, CDG, NAP, FLR, VCE, LHR whatever you take.
There are only very few countries in the world where you will find the ICAO code giving a good hint towards the town...
:mad:

The Fat Controller
2nd Nov 2001, 18:34
FL310
I meant ship as in big thing that floats on the sea, they have 4 letter callsigns i.e. GGRE, GGRU etc etc but those two lovely ships are probably razor blades by now !
Anyway, I now have enough answers and comments, thanks one and all.
I look forward to BA's hospitality on the 7th November from EGPF-EGLL-VTBD, if any of the crew of BA9 read this, just put out a PA for Mr FATCO that evening and I shall make myself known to you !

[ 02 November 2001: Message edited by: The Fat Controller ]

Red Spitfire Driver
7th Nov 2001, 03:27
sanjosebaz, Papertiger, PPRuNe Radar.

UK Location indicators do have some sort of order.
If they are double letters ie EGHH (Bournemouth), that signifies the AFTN 'hub. Those airfields that are in the area usually are of a similar code ie EGHI (Southampton), EGHJ (Bembridge) etc.
So the example of EGGW - Luton, is in the EGGG (Heathrow Com Centre) area.

sanjosebaz - as to the history of Location Indicators.
They were introduced in the present format in 1959.
From 1952 to 1959 the 'Abbreviation of Place Names' - as they were called, were a four letter group, based on the registration letters (for aircraft) that were allocated for each country. That gave the UK G... , Iceland TF.., France F... etc.
The exception being USA that had K... - That is also why Canada has C...

- Hope this is not too anorak-ish !!!

Cheers