PDA

View Full Version : UK NPPL to FAA CPL ?

this is my username
4th Feb 2011, 13:16
Hi Guys

I have lots of flying experience, but all of it on sub-ICAO aircraft / licences. I have been looking at the options for training for an FAA CPL/IR/ME (and yes, I do know about the approaching firestorm in Europe regarding those qualifications). I can't go down the JAA route as my eyesight isn't up to scratch, but hope I could qualify for an FAA CPL via the "demonstrated ability" route.

I have a relatively easy / inexpensive route available to me to qualify for the UK NPPL(M) and / or the NPPL SSEA and to gain flying experience on either licence. If I could go down that route it would not only limit cost but would also reduce the amount of time I would have to spend in the US.

I’ve been looking in FAR AIM but I have some questions which I hope someone may be able to help with: Is there a route for converting a UK NPPL SSEA to an FAA PPL? FAR AIM refers to recognition of licences issued by ICAO-contracting states, but not to recognition of sub-ICAO licences issued by an ICAO contracting state (eg the UK NPPL SSEA) so can it be done?

If there is no conversion route, does instruction in the UK count towards the minimum 20 hours required for issue of the FAA PPL?

On the CPL front: FAR AIM refers to aviation experience in “airplanes”. Would experience on a UK Microlight count? Or a UK Group A aircraft flown on an NPPL? (For US readers, a UK Microlight is not analogous to a US “Ultralight”, it’s more like an LSA)

Hope that makes some sort of sense – if it doesn’t I’m sure you will let me know.

VJW
4th Feb 2011, 16:22
Well basic answer is no.

You cannot get a picky back FAA PPL based on your non ICAO NPPL.

You'll need to do FAA PPL and work your way up!

B2N2
4th Feb 2011, 17:31
OK let's recap:

You cannot get a FAA "piggyback" PPL in acc. with 61.75 based on a NPPL since it is not an ICAO compliant license.

Training in the UK:
For the PPL 20 hrs is required from an authorized Instructor, this being an instructor certified under 14 CFR part 61 so a FAA Instructor.
Doesn't matter where this training takes place but you do need TSA approval regardless.

As far as your hrs are concerned:
You need to meet the requirements of 61.129.
These state (amongst other things) 250 hrs of flight time
of which 50 hrs must be in airplanes.

Airplanes being: engine driven fixed wing heavier then air.

So I guess as long as it has a registration number it counts.

chrisbl
4th Feb 2011, 18:54
You need to meet the required medical standards and that includes 20/20 vision in each eye (with or without correction) for the issue of a FAA Class 2 Medical.

You only need a class 3 for the issue of a commercial certificate. The class 2 is needed to earn of course.

this is my username
4th Feb 2011, 18:55
Thanks guys, that all helps.

If what you say is the case, it means I could learn to fly fixed-wing in the UK and build some hours (so I can make sure I have some level of aptitude) before going to the US to get an FAA PPL and go on from there.

All food for thought.

this is my username
4th Feb 2011, 19:04
If my vision isn't up to scratch isn't a SODA an option??

zondaracer
4th Feb 2011, 22:27
I recommend checking out this site and contacting an AME.

Aviation Medicine Advisory Service -- FAA Medical Expertise -- Our Physicians...Your Solution! (http://aviationmedicine.com/articles/index.cfm?fuseaction=displayArticle&articleID=19&navID=67&contentID=67)

Overall, the FAA is comparatively lenient in waivering conditions for medical certification, particularly when compared to the military or the Joint Aviation Authority (JAA) of Europe. The FAA granted 8,189 authorizations for Special Issuance in 1998. Additionally, many other pilots received eligibility letters for medical conditions that require reporting and clearance, but do not require SIA. Examples include high blood pressure on medication, kidney stones and glaucoma. Pilots with other stable conditions that did not meet FAA medical standards, such as unilateral deafness, color vision deficiencies and monocularity received Statements of Demonstrated Ability (SODA). The SODA authorizes an AME to issue a medical certificate, despite not meeting standards, without requiring periodic reports from treating physicians. The FAA may require the pilot to complete a medical flight test or simulator evaluation with a FAA Inspector prior to receiving a SODA.

selfin
5th Feb 2011, 03:42
B2N2,

Training in the UK:
For the PPL 20 hrs is required from an authorized Instructor, this being an instructor certified under 14 CFR part 61 so a FAA Instructor.

Authorized instructor includes non-FAA flight instructors giving instruction outside the US (sec. 61.41).

B2N2
16th Feb 2011, 12:43
Selfin,

Authorized instructor includes non-FAA flight instructors giving instruction outside the US (sec. 61.41).

NO IT DOES NOT.
14 CFR 61.1 (b)(2) specifically states a ground or flight instructor certificate issued under Part 61.

You can count other flight training which is NOT required to be given by an AUTHORIZED instructor under 61.41.

Stop arguing this point already. :ugh:

VJW
17th Feb 2011, 00:54
B2N2 stop being so piggy (I mean picky) with my English.....lol, must have been a long day that day! :ok: