PDA

View Full Version : Exams again?

MightyDucks
3rd Feb 2011, 19:47
Hi all,

I'm currently doing my ppl although i haven't flown in around 3 months but my question is that i have completed my exams in ireland and i was thinking of finishing off my training in Stapleford but would i have to do my exams again?

mrmum
3rd Feb 2011, 22:44
See extract from UK CAA LASORS 2010 below (my bold);
[QUOTE]LASORS 2010 A8 STATE OF LICENCE ISSUE

JAR-FCL 1.065/2.065 states that an applicant shall demonstrate the satisfactory completion of all requirements for licence issue to the Authority of the ‘State of Licence Issue’.

Training/Testing in other JAA Member States

SECTION A GENERAL INFORMATION LAS Section A

In circumstances agreed by both Authorities, an applicant who has commenced training under the responsibility of one Authority may be permitted to complete the requirements under the responsibility of the other Authority.

The agreement shall allow for:
1. theoretical knowledge training and examinations*;
2. medical examination and assessment;
3. flight training and testing.

The Authorities shall agree the ‘State of Licence Issue’.

*The UK CAA does not recognise JAR-FCL PPL(A)/ (H) examinations completed in another JAA Member State for the purpose of issuance of a UK JAR-FCL PPL(A)/ (H) as these examinations are produced “nationally” and are not compiled using the JAA Central Question Bank.

Note: Applicants should be aware that whilst there is provision in JAR-FCL to allow training/testing and examinations to be carried out between JAA
Member States, each State may have their own policy regarding the acceptance of training/testing and examinations completed in another State. Therefore, prior to commencement of training, applicants are advised to contact the intended ‘State of Licence Issue’ to confirm their policy on this matter [QUOTE]

So it would appear that at PPL level, the CAA will not accept a pass in the theoretical examinations in Ireland for a UK issued JAA-PPL(A).:*
However, would the Irish authorities accept the completion of the flying training and skill test being done in the UK for an Irish issued licence? I don't know the answer to that, but if they would, it would save you having to do the exams again. It also depends a bit on how much you've done/got left to do, do you still need much solo time? If so, that raises the question of medical validity and although not a legal requirement, most clubs won't let you fly solo without having passed at least UK Aviation Law, probably Met. & Nav. as well if you still need any solo cross-country time.