PDA

View Full Version : 744 First Officers

Speedbird252
31st Oct 2001, 00:18
Evening all. Just watched a video of a Virgin 744 flight from Heathrow to San Francisco. My question is: what is the route to becoming a F/O on the 744? Do you have to "miss" the chance of a P1 on the the 752/763/A3etc...? The usual 2 stripes on the lapels of the f/o, but to be able to be P1 when needed seemed to require more experience than a F/O on smaller types. Just wondered if it was case of right place, right time or a personal thing to move up to the 744? Or no real difference to usual sop`s all bar 2 extra engines and a few more pax?

Kinda seems a silly question reading it back, but im a curious type. (still on props you see!)

Regards to you all.

:)

Buckshot
31st Oct 2001, 03:15
Yes, I have seen the same video and was wondering the exact same thing. The FO did seem to be fairly, well, old.
Mind you, it says on the back of that video that the captain of that flight got his first 747 classic command at age 30, and then transfered to -400 L/H seat two years later.

M.Mouse
31st Oct 2001, 14:03
The God called seniority comes into play plus a minimum level of experience.

I joined BA on the 737 with about 1000 hours on turbo - props and 1800 hours total. The requirement at the time were a minimum of 2000 hours total to go straight to the 747 - 400. I successfully bid onto the 747 - 400 with the magical number 18 months later. I could have stayed as an FO and waited until I was senior enough for a right to left seat change but elected to move to 757/767s 2 years ago for command.

I am now senior enough for either a 777 or 747 - 400 command but of course 11/9 has rather changed everything.

I cannot vouch that it is the same throughout the world.

One of the reasons for the minimum experience requirement in BA at least is that the number of landings and exposure to the operation is by its very nature less in longhaul than shorthaul. A 747 would not be a good aeroplane to gain experience on having just left a flying college!

Hope this helps.

Speedbird252
1st Nov 2001, 02:24
Buckshot and Mr M.Mouse, I thank you!

Regards

purple haze
2nd Nov 2001, 03:12
sorry to sound ignorant,

but just to clarify, u can gain command of a 744 quicker going down the 757/767 route than becoming a 744 FO who then becomes Capt.

sounds strange if true.

cheers

Espresso
7th Nov 2001, 22:59
gotajob
very true - I might send you that CLX e-mail address after all...

ciao

M.Mouse
10th Nov 2001, 01:08
Purple haze

Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough. I was a First Officer with say a seniority number of about 1500. A command on the 747-400 at the time needed a number of about 1000. Because in BA a 757/767 is less popular than a 747-400 (for many reasons!) commands were, at the time I moved, as low as around 1600. Two years on due retirements etc. my number is now 1300ish and the most junior commands on both the 777 and the 747-400 are around the same number.

It does change from year to year or in fact month to month at the moment due changing fleet plans.

I could have sat another two years waiting to move right to left on the 747-400 but changed fleet to gain a more junior command until my number came up for a move to either the 747-400 or 777 left seat.

Believe it or not one or two people within BA left a command on one fleet to go back to First Officer on the 747-400 but that's another story.

As gotajob4us says two rings and the right hand seat do not mean that you do not have the experience and ability to be the Captain! It is the God call seniority which has many benefits and many drawbacks.

One of the advantages of BA is the ability to change fleets every 4 years if you so wish and join a fleet whose lifestyle suits.

The numbers I have used are roughly correct but not entirely precise otherwise some would work out who I am!

Hope this helps.