PDA

View Full Version : Situation in Sweden, changes.

Aethelwulf
1st Feb 2011, 08:31
Hey,

I'm soon to start my ATCo-education in Sweden. The main reason I'm writing this is because I worry over what the current situation will result in.. Is ATC benefits/salary/intraprofessional comradeship to disappear?

As an example the education is no longer only at ATCC Malmö/Sturup/Entry Point North but starts as a Bachelor in Transport and Logistics in Norrköping för 3 semesters (90 ECTS). Then during On job training at the ATCC education we're supposted to read the last 90 ECTS simultaneously.

The contracts have been terminated and there's discussion and it appears to me to be an unstable profession at the moment. The swedish forums are fairly infected and so I would like you to comment on this event, if you're conversant with the subject.. Thanks.

Founder
1st Feb 2011, 09:25
There is a risk to everything you do in life, I know a lot of ATC's in Sweden first hand and they love their job. Things seam a lot worse than they are...

Are you doing this for money or because its a job you love?

Most pilots fail not because there are no jobs, they fail because they maybe did their training for something else than pure aviation interest...

If you love aviation and would like to work within the aviation world, go for it, if you're only doing it for "status" and money, choose something else...

AND most important, dont judge the profession of how it is right NOW... when you are finished with your training, the world will look a lot different! Life is a gamble...

Aethelwulf
1st Feb 2011, 12:16
Thanks for taking your time to respond.

I've always loved aviation, but it's not my only interest, as proof I'm currently educating myself to become a doctor in medicine.

I therefore have a safe future already and what I think, an interesting profession. Although I believe my interest in aviation is stronger, I hesitate now though since I don't know how big a gamble I might be up to.. I don't want to jeopardize my future too much.

I think I would love ATCo too and unless the benefits change radically I will definately go for it.. It's just that I don't know if they will, and I don't think anyone 'knows' but maybe someone has a little more insight and could enlighten me somewhat. :)

Crazy Voyager
1st Feb 2011, 14:54
I don't have any personal insight (I'm just intrested in the subject), but what worries me are the rumours that the university part of the education is becoming a terrible hunt for grades. The reason for this being that the top 30 students will get the ATCO-spots at EPN. Since the required minima for being accepted to the university part is very high, the resulting hunt for grades (and pressure in the group to get better grades then your firends) is very high.

Now these are rumours (from the only blog I've found on the subject that's updated), but at least to me the scenario seems plausible.

Aethelwulf
1st Feb 2011, 15:19
I can only acknowledge the rumors, only the top 30 students will be allowed entrance to EPN, although if I've understood it correctly they won't accept many more than 30 to the university class. 60 students in total and 30 of them destined to continue at EPN after 3 semesters. So I don't think there will be much of a hunt for the next course start.

Crazy Voyager
1st Feb 2011, 15:44
Ok, well then that issue is solved. I don't know, I'm right now not sad I'm applying to NATS (being Swedish myself). I need to move but I don't mind the thought of working and living in the UK. NATS will pay my education (if I get in) and even though the entire industry is not as stable as it used to, in the end what drives me is my passion and will to become an ATCO. So the cost of moving in return for an education and a job is one that I'm definitly willing to take.