PDA

View Full Version : Keep PPL current

csindel
28th Oct 2001, 13:16
I am holding a British PPL and I was wondering if anybody could tell me what it takes, in terms of hours flying, to keep it current? So far I know that you need 12 hours in a two year period, including one with a certified instructor. I also heard that you won't need to do any flying in the first year. Does that mean, I need 12 hours in the second year, or can I for example do 5 hours in the first and 7 in the second?

Thanks in advance to anybody who could let me know. Cheers

Lucifer
28th Oct 2001, 13:34
Twelve hours in the 12 months prior to expiry, of which six must be P1, and one of which must be a dual flight with an instructor (CAA or mil?) which overall must total to 12 takeoffs and landings. Dual training flight must include all pre-flight and departure work, climb at best angle and rate, s+l, steep turns, all stall configs, incipient spin recovery, EFATO, PFL, sim precationary landing, fire in air and other simulated emergencies, arrival and landin including flapless landing and crosswind if possible. (Log as P/UT).

Alternatively you can do a proficiency check with an examiner within 3 months of expiry.

aerostar2
28th Oct 2001, 16:26
Done the hours, did the hour with an instructor and he signed me off as OK. Is that it or do I need to get a certificate or something?

I'm still confused!

Garry

Icarus Wings
28th Oct 2001, 17:27
There is no set format for the flight with an instructor although there is an AIC which recommends certain things.
The only other thing you need to do is get your certificate of experience signed by an examiner before the expiry date of your previous one.

Lucifer
28th Oct 2001, 18:08
You need to go to an examiner who will sign off a form which he will send to Gatwick. Some places may charge a tenner or so for the admin, but search about and you may get it free from someone who is not too busy and in a good mood, and does not want to rip you off!

And you need to get the signature before the expiry date, or you will need a full check of experience with an examiner, even if you have done the hours.

[ 28 October 2001: Message edited by: Lucifer ]

Mister Gash
31st Oct 2001, 14:20
According to the JAA website, the requirement is 13 hours! Note use of the word ‘and’ between paragraph (A) and (B).

(i) within the three months preceding the expiry date of the rating, pass a proficiency check with an authorised examiner on either a single-engine piston aeroplane (land) or a touring motor glider; or
(ii) within 12 months preceding the expiry of the rating :
(A) complete 12 hours of [flight time in the class including] 6 hours of pilot-in-command time and 12 take-offs and 12 landings; and
(B) complete a training flight of at least 1 hours duration with a flight instructor. This flight may be replaced by any other proficiency check or skill test for a class or type rating.

www.jaa.nl/jar/jar/jar/jar.fcl.1.245.htm (http://www.jaa.nl/jar/jar/jar/jar.fcl.1.245.htm)

Floppy Link
31st Oct 2001, 21:47
From CAA SRG letter to Registered FTOs dated 18 April 2001, regarding the dual flight:

"A Proficiency Check or Skill Test for an aircraft rating on any other class or type including an airline OPC is acceptable"

Still need the 12 hours though......
FL :)

[ 31 October 2001: Message edited by: Floppy Link ]