PDA

View Full Version : Flying into Aberdeen

The Flying Stool
31st Jan 2011, 21:09
Hi All,

I'll be making a trip to Aberdeen in the near future and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of flying into either EGPD or any other airfields in the area that they could recommend. Also, could anyone give some rough costs for an over night stay for a PA28 and landing fees etc at EGPD? I'm guessing it will be quite pricey.

Thanks in advance

Adam

fisbangwollop
1st Feb 2011, 08:26
Can't help you with any Aberdeen info but if your flying from Newcastle give me a call " Scottish Information" 119.875 after leaving Newcastle and I will update you with weathers etc on your flight north. Have a great trip and maybe we will talk soon....:cool::cool::cool:

Slopey
1st Feb 2011, 09:35
Flying into EGPD is fine - call for PPR via the number in Pooleys or you can file via Afpex (which is their perferred way of doing it). Get a service from Scottish as per fisbang, then you'll get handed over to Radar and you'll need to join via the VFR lanes (again see Pooleys, always <2000ft VFR into the zone), unless you're IFR obviously.

You'll need to call Signature 01224 723636 for a price for handling/parking - it won't be cheap unfortunately, but it's not as bad as say Edinburgh. Avgas also is expensive, fuel up elsewhere if possible.

When you leave Aberdeen, you can book out via Afpex, or just call from the Signature office - you'll need to request clearance out of the zone via one of the VFR lanes, and call Ground for your clearance after startup prior to Taxi. ATC are quite hot on correct read-backs of clearance currently.

Avoid peak times around 8-9.30 in the morning and late afternoon if departing/arriving if you can - it's not uncommon to be held at E1 waiting to depart for 25-30 mins if there's a load of rotary traffic and inbounds stacked up on the ILS. Same when arriving, don't be surprised if you have to orbit at the Bridge of Don if coming up the Stonehaven lane from the South.

Otherwise there isn't much up this way. Insch is a grass strip 10 miles to the west, but the chap who owns it is quite particular about who lands there, and it's been closed recently for quite a while (with micros using the taxiway). There's also Hatton and Whiterashes which are both private. And there's Longside up at Peterhead which is a hard surface, but quite short.

If you need any more info, drop me a PM as I'm in a 172 group which is based there.

Cheers,
S.

MIKECR
1st Feb 2011, 11:09
Aberdeen will cost you an arm and a leg. By the time you've paid landing/handling/parking fee's I think you'll be in for a painful surprise. Far cheaper using one of the outlying smaller feilds and get a bus or train into town. Even Dundee is probably a cheaper option.

gasax
1st Feb 2011, 11:55
Why not ring or email Signature and ask?

Wellheads Drive, Aberdeen Airport East Aberdeen, AB21 7GQ, Scotland
Phone +44 1224 723636 | Fax +44 1224 725458
VHF: 122.35
[email protected]
06:30L - 21:30L - 24hrs on request
Station Manager: Brian Scott

mad_jock
1st Feb 2011, 12:34
And don't forget the 45 quid NATS nav charge.

You will be cheaper going to dundee and getting the train up or getting a hire car.

Maoraigh1
1st Feb 2011, 20:01
TFS you have a PM

fisbangwollop
1st Feb 2011, 20:10
Mad Jock...45 quid NATS nav charge.

No navigation charges for VFR flights!!:cool:

mad_jock
1st Feb 2011, 20:35
aye there is if your not local and land.

fisbangwollop
2nd Feb 2011, 05:50
Mad J.....think someone is ripping you off..:cool::cool::cool:

http://www.baa.com/assets/Internet/Aberdeen/Aberdeen%20downloads/Static_files/ConditionsOfUse2010ABZ.pdf

NorthSouth
2nd Feb 2011, 21:18
C'mon guys, why are you so negative? Is it that dreadful shadow of John Knox that descends over us all as we pass Berwick? The Curse of Alba (and no I don't think Benedict's any better).

If you don't want to pay the fees dictated by Spanish airport owners, then investigate Insch, Whiterashes, Longside. I've been to all of them in a PA28 and they're all good airfields although Insch and Whiterashes vulnerable to being boggy in winter.

Not sure these are the current details but you've got the same Google as me:

Insch (http://www.gmfc-insch.co.uk/home.asp?txtPage=info)
Whiterashes (http://www.flightnav.co.uk/downloads/WHITERASHES.pdf)
Longside: 07857 633 031

The flight up the coast is great and if Aberdeen's on runway 34 ATC will restrict you to not above 1000ft in the zone north of Stonehaven due to IFR traffic overhead.

Might also be worth making some inquiries with the newly-established flying school at Aberdeen (http://northflightaviation.co.uk/) to see if they have done any deals to get cheaper club rates which they might extend to you.

NS

Unusual Attitude
2nd Feb 2011, 21:41
If you don't want to pay the fees dictated by Spanish airport owners, then investigate Insch, Whiterashes, Longside. I've been to all of them in a PA28 and they're all good airfields although Insch and Whiterashes vulnerable to being boggy in winter.

Insch in a PA28? Either your a braver man than me or you must have had a good headwind!

fisbangwollop
3rd Feb 2011, 15:48
Insch in a PA28? Either your a braver man than me or you must have had a good headwind!

Is 547m tight for a PA28??

Grampian Microlight Flying Club (http://www.gmfc-insch.co.uk/home.asp?txtPage=info)

kui2324
3rd Feb 2011, 16:02
Welcome To Cabro Aviation Ltd (http://www.cabroaviation.co.uk/pilottraining.html)

Actually these guys have full approval for training out of Aberdeen.

As others have said speak to Signature's station manager Brian Scott.

The Signature/Flying Club apron is only for resident aircraft since a visitor managed to have a runway incursion through E1 a few years ago so ALL visitors unless resident, have to be parked on the East Apron.

Unusual Attitude
3rd Feb 2011, 16:05
547m Grass, significant down/upslope and a variety of obstructions on short finals / departure make it pretty sporty in a C172, so much so that Ken insists local pilots have an Insch check-out.

You could probably do it in something like a Warrior not too heavy but it would be pretty marginal on a warm day, especially landing downhill on RWY13 given how PA28's like to float...

Slopey
3rd Feb 2011, 16:08
And into the tail end of last year the runway was unserviceable, so microlight pilots were taking off/landing via the taxiway adjacent to the burn. You'd have to be pretty suicidal to try that in anything bigger as it's not exactly smooth, or wide, and the ditch is quite deep, and wet.

And you'd need to get Ken to let you in anyway.

Unusual Attitude
3rd Feb 2011, 16:13
I've operated off the taxiway at Insch a couple of times over the years in a locally based C172 but I'd have serious reservations on anything other than a calm day, any drift and your in the burn as Slopey says !!

No fuel at Insch any more either so you'd probably end up at ABZ anyway!

garrygaz
3rd Feb 2011, 22:02
FBW - New Charges published 1st January, £40.00 Departure Charge (minimum) + £9.30 per tonne Naviation Charge + parking0.06 per tonne per 15 minutes + whatever your chosen handling agent charges; there are at least 6.

http://www.aberdeenairport.com/assets/Internet/Aberdeen/Aberdeen%20downloads/PDFs/Conditions_of_Use_2011-ABZ_Final.pdf

MIKECR
3rd Feb 2011, 22:39
Lets be honest, Abz isnt interested in GA, not unless its a 727 with Trump on the fuselage. As soon as Trump announced his golf course plans, BAA raised all the fee's to local based GA a/c in the hope of clearing parking space for high paying biz jets.

Unusual Attitude
4th Feb 2011, 08:27
Lets be honest, Abz isnt interested in GA, not unless its a 727 with Trump on the fuselage. As soon as Trump announced his golf course plans, BAA raised all the fee's to local based GA a/c in the hope of clearing parking space for high paying biz jets.

I'd tend to agree with that, 10 years ago they used to be happy to slot you in and out of arriving and departing traffic without issue. Nowadays you tend to be kept well clear and in some cases being held for 30-40mins until things go quiet. Signature are by far the worst part of the experience, I've never come accross such a terrible obstructive attitude and I quite frankly refuse to give them any more of my money.

So after such a good advert for the experience, if anyone wants to buy an ABZ based C172 share feel fre to PM me!!

MIKECR
4th Feb 2011, 09:46
UA,

I remember the price increases very well. It literally happened overnight when the Trump roadshow arrived in town. There was a knee jerk reaction by the authorities who suddenly realised they'd need to find parking space for all the expensive biz jets that would start appearing. A bit like the Leuchars/Dundee parking problem when the open is on at St. Andrews. Thankfuly the prices came down again once they realised the golf course was still some time away in terms of completion.

I got rid of my Abz based a/c share years ago, the upkeep was way too expensive.

IO540
4th Feb 2011, 15:56
I will be going up there soon, I think.

What is the simplest/cheapest handling agent?

Is it possible to taxi to the aeroclub instead?

MIKECR
4th Feb 2011, 18:05
Im a bit out of the ABZ loop at the moment but I think its maybe still Signature that handle most GA. There are other handling agents - Servisair, Aero Handling, to name a few. AIS.org is probably your best bet for an up to date list. The Signature Office/Reception/Lounge is now the old aero club building where most local based light aircraft are parked. If they cant squeeze you in there then you'll probably end up on Echo apron beside Bond Heli's. Fuel wise, fill up elsewhere if you need it. Dundee, Fife or Perth are probably the cheapest.

You could always try and sweet talk the gliding club folks at Aboyne and see if they will accept you there. 2 x tarmac runways, and a short hop into Aberdeen.