PDA

View Full Version : Snowdonia's Sloping Lake

MightyGem
31st Jan 2011, 11:05
I'm sure I posted this recently, but a search reveals no trace.

Anyway, does anyone have a video clip of a flight to the sloping lake, SH 678650? It would come in handy for an upcoming presentation.

Shackman
31st Jan 2011, 21:14
Made a video some years ago to put in the mass brief - unfortunately the effect is purely physiological (ie has to be seen to be believed) together with the false horizon/levelling etc - the video did not show the false slope as it was far too obvious, and those that saw the video then didn't see the sloping lake 'cos they were expecting it!

dakkg651
31st Jan 2011, 22:48
I remember my first sceptical trip up that valley with a certain Jerry English in a Squirrel back in 97.

Could hardly believe my eyes when we turned the corner and the sloping lake appeared.

It was only by using the AI that my personal horizon was re-erected and everything assumed it's normal perspective.

Learned a lot about mountain flying on that trip. :D

Flap62
1st Feb 2011, 08:24
Snowdonia's Sloping Lake

Presumably particularly popular with water skiers?

oldbeefer
1st Feb 2011, 08:27
You hung up your helmet yet?

forget
1st Feb 2011, 08:39
Flap, if no one else says it ---- :D:D:D

Fark'n'ell
2nd Feb 2011, 04:18
Forget

Presumably particularly popular with water skiers?

Were you infering a gentleman of a certain nationality gave up trying to waterski because he couldn't find a lake with a slope on it.:D

Fortissimo
2nd Feb 2011, 09:48
Fark

I think you must be referring to my friend Podraig O'Diamghlairgoghgraickwallow, though he of course pronounces it in English as 'Patrick Downwaterskier'...

Green Flash
2nd Feb 2011, 10:23
There's a few places like that, I remember the road through the pass to the east of the top end of Loch Fyne (I think it's known as the Electric Brae?). You can take your foot off the gas and appear to be coasting uphill, very wierd. Only cure is to look at the road immediately in front and to the sides, stare at the horizon and your personal IN goes wibble.

Tankertrashnav
3rd Feb 2011, 09:02
The best known Electric Brae is Croy Bray in Ayrshire. Lots of videos of varying quality on You Tube. There may well be one near Loch Fyne but don't know it.