PDA

View Full Version : Sywell

GGR
29th Jan 2011, 18:32
Dropped in to Sywell yesterday, my colleague and I would like to say what a delight this place is. Most professional and squeeky clean everywhere!
Terrific facillities and lovely Andrea in the Pilots mess.

GGR

G-BNMB

stevelup
30th Jan 2011, 17:22
I did one leg of my QXC there and was made to feel like I was intruding into a private clique. Shame because it's a fantastic facility.

Just my personal experience of one particular day of course...

S-Works
30th Jan 2011, 17:34
Did you encounter the fireman with small man syndrome......... :ok:

jollyrog
30th Jan 2011, 17:48
I've been there several times and always had a pleasant experience. Last Summer, I asked (at short notice) for out of hours permission, which was granted with no problems. Also got a slot to collect then depart with a passenger with no hassle, on the morning of the aerobatics competition when they were really busy.

I think Sywell is an excellent aerodrome. The hard runway has improved things somewhat and the food is great.

Halfbaked_Boy
30th Jan 2011, 17:54
bose,

I said it before (whether of this you are aware), and I shall say it again -

Well done, 'twas a long time coming.

:ok:

GBEBZ
30th Jan 2011, 23:07
Man I almost made it there yesterday! We did Glos to Wellesbourne for bacon butty and then were going on to Sywell for lunch but ran out of time and had to get back to Aeros, Glos so someone else could have the plane :-( :-(

Sywell... your time will come when I come to see you - before the EXPO!

Heliplane
31st Jan 2011, 11:16
I went there a few weeks ago and had a great time. Very friendly staff and great food. Will definitely return soon.

manix-cs
8th Feb 2011, 16:29
Been in twice only.

The first time was on a qualifying XC about 3 years ago, the welcome was.......unwelcoming :( (and no, not because of any transgression)

I swore I wouldn't go back again.....there are plenty of other places to visit after all!

However a couple of months ago I had to drop in to pick up some fuel en route. What a difference. Welcoming RT. Welcoming refueler. Helpful attitude.

jjag
8th Feb 2011, 17:20
I took a light jet in there a couple of weeks ago, no problem with the people very friendly and helpful and a really attractive cafe and bar , however the landing fee was a bit more than Coventry only a few miles away with a full ILS and jet centre.

So for me just not good value which was a shame it would be great to have a less expensive option in the midlands when the weather is good .

paulthornton
8th Feb 2011, 18:17
I diverted in there last year when the clag came down a bit harder than expected.

They seemed very friendly and helpful. They also refused to accept any payment for landing and parking for two days after I carried on my trip in a hire car. So clearly not all bad as some posters have suggested... I guess your mileage may vary there, but on the strength of my only visit, I'd go back again.

Paul.

glorygal
8th Feb 2011, 19:57
Friendly welcome for me and I'd happily go back

Tupperware Pilot
9th Feb 2011, 05:51
This is what i like about Sywell....
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4084/5086255505_d81c5f232f.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tupperware_pilot/5086255505/) Now this we like..... (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tupperware_pilot/5086255505/) by Air Frame Photography (http://www.flickr.com/people/tupperware_pilot/), on Flickr

...as well as good food etc.

IO540
9th Feb 2011, 07:21
I rarely read these massive "Sywell" threads but wonder what makes the place so controversial?

It is widely known that one individual got chucked off there following some kind of a fight, but this is not that unusual on the "larger than life character" GA scene. Another chap had a fight with somebody at Panshanger and I recall reading the newspaper article about that at the time.

I've never been to Sywell.

Gasil
9th Feb 2011, 10:18
Sywell isn't far from me as I fly out of Oxford and I've had occaison to nip over from time to time. The last time I went they were really friendly. My departure made me laugh though, as the ATC was bursting a blood vessel on the air with a pilot who was clearly not lisiting to her traffic requests. I decided any futher communication on my part would have added to the confusion so thought better of saying anything further. Generally though I think it's a nice place and I like it. The only critisim I have is it's attached to Northampton!

DX Wombat
9th Feb 2011, 10:37
it would be great to have a less expensive option in the midlands when the weather is good You could always try Halfpenny Green - choice of three runways (one with lighting), friendly staff, a cafe which I am told has improved greatly but if you want somewhere a bit posher then there is always the Red Lion about a mile away on foot or a short taxi ride.

Avitor
9th Feb 2011, 10:46
Landed there in the late 60s, propping up the bar, pint in hand, was the well rounded Colin Milburn, England Opener at that time. Unfortunately, he later suffered the same kind of accident as the England goal keeper Gordon Banks.

Halfbaked_Boy
9th Feb 2011, 11:35
The only critisim I have is it's attached to Northampton!

:*...

... :p

thing
9th Feb 2011, 11:50
Pal of mine lives in Kettering and we often pop to Sywell for lunch just because the restaurant is so good. Never actually flown into the place but from what I've seen it's excellent.

rocco16
9th Feb 2011, 12:25
Been many times - only issue is catering at large events or if you have a large group when it can be slow. ATC and pumps people very friendly plus good facilities - Boss likes the Art Decoish hotel.

Rod1
9th Feb 2011, 15:40
I have visited Sywell many times. It is 1st class and I highly recommend it. In addition to the catering there is also the hotel and the museum. The flying school is equipped with modern VLA aircraft and the airfield has mogas on tap. Plenty of interesting aircraft and many national events held throughout the year.

Rod1