PDA

View Full Version : Flying in to EGTK

Whiskey Bravo
29th Jan 2011, 15:41
Thinking of flying into EGTK tomorrow if the weather turns out. Does anyone have any tips for the best routes in? We will be arriving from the south probably via CPT. Is the normal route VFR route into the airfield through the Brize zone, or to avoid Brize routing over Oxford?

Any help much appreciated.

Johnm
29th Jan 2011, 16:43
Brize controllers are invariably helpful so take your pick. Sightseeing over Oxford may appeal if the cloud base allows, but be mindful of Sunday services in Churches.

Casper87
29th Jan 2011, 18:07
Just be aware that on weekends service provision from Brize is limeted.

C

tmmorris
29th Jan 2011, 18:13
I'd say 'normal' is to route over Oxford city. In fact one of the IFR arrivals is almost due north from CPT (353R as I remember, but don't take my word for it!) which takes you that way anyway. Watch out for the Benson MATZ, though, and the area to the west of Benson, both of which are busy with Tutors on AEF and UAS sorties (doing aeros and formation, for example) - this is the area there was a fatal mid-air last year - and they are active at the weekends, too. Compton is a major honeypot - avoid 'obvious' levels like 2000 or 2500. Also, Abingdon airfield is emphatically NOT disused and at the weekends is active with Vigilant motorgliders, mostly in the circuit but also to the south and west doing general handling.

If you do route via Brize you avoid much of the above; if the weather is suitable you could go >3500ft to avoid the CAS and then descend between the Charlbury VRP and Kidlington; but it's not necessary; the above route is fine as long as you keep your eyes peeled.

Tim

Whiskey Bravo
29th Jan 2011, 18:35
Thanks all, good to get some local info. This is one of my post-PPL sorties out of what has been my usual airspace, so much appreciated.