PDA

View Full Version : Atc & Rff

Dickcheese
28th Jan 2011, 22:31
Does anybody know of anywhere that co-locates RFF with ATC in the tower cab?

It's being attempted here in Aus and whilst I have a raft of reasons why it shouldn't go ahead, I'd be interested whether it is actually done anywhere else.

Thanks

604guy
29th Jan 2011, 18:30
Well mate, I'll respond if nothing else to satisfy the message that I haven't participated lately.

Re your acronym rff, Wikipidia offers the following options:

RFF From Wikipedia, RFF is a three-letter acronym that may refer to:

Rainforest Foundation Fund
Request for feedback
Request for financing
Reading for the Future
Rescue Fire Fighting
Réseau Ferré de France
Resources for the Future
Ricardo Franco Front, a Colombian revolutionary guerrilla group

If it's the last one on the list then yes I can understand your reticence to sharing space with ATC in the cab! :}

I'll get the door on the way out

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
29th Jan 2011, 18:58
I've never heard of "RFF" in aviation either?

NZScion
29th Jan 2011, 23:31
The aussies use it for their Airport fire services... Supposed to mean Rescue Fire Services or something I assume...

heretostay
30th Jan 2011, 12:05
In the UK alone I've seen CAA documentation refer to the folk who put out fires as:

RFF
ARFS
RFFS
AFS
Duty Crew

I understand the current official one in the UK is RFFS - Rescue Fire Fighting Service.

Spitoon
30th Jan 2011, 12:27
I understand the current official one in the UK is RFFS - Rescue Fire Fighting Service.That's what ICAO use too - although I'm not sure that it is abbreviated to RFF(S) officially.

Dickcheese
30th Jan 2011, 23:11
Thanks folks for the discussion.
In Aus it's ARFF, Aviation Rescue Fire Fighting. I thought RFF was more universal, it turns out I wasn't quite correct on that, but thanks for the facetious replies.
Does anyone have an answer for the question if you replace RFF with FIREY'S ?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
31st Jan 2011, 08:19
Jeeez... what's a FIREY??

Why should you want the fire service in the tower? Don't they have a fire station?

Dickcheese
31st Jan 2011, 21:51
Exactly... we don't want them there and I can't imagine they want it either.
For some reason a tower that is being built with a perfectly good Fire Command Centre 2 floors down has been decreed to have them both share the tower cab ! :ugh:
My opinion is that it will increase distractions to an unsafe level. They have 5 radios to monitor not to mention drills.

604guy
1st Feb 2011, 23:41
I presume that if the CFR (Crash Fire Rescue as it's known in these parts) folks were to share space in the tower cab, to respond to a crash alarm these same folks first have to descend to ground level before they can jump into various equipment and actually get under way. Doesn't it make infinitely more sense to have them already at ground level, based strategically on the airfield and that much ahead of the game? I'm not grasping the logic of co-locating these resources with ATC folks in a tower cab......which I guess is your initial point!

This sounds like the type of decision made all too often by folks who sit in windowless offices without a firm grasp of life in the real world.:confused:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Feb 2011, 18:12
Yep - unacceptable I'd say..