PDA

View Full Version : Italy- Minimum requirements and Language.

26th Oct 2001, 06:24
Hello Everybody!

I've been wondering for years about the minimum requirements for airlines in Italy such as Alitalia, Air Europe, Lauda and the rest. I know this isn't the time to be attempting to get work but just wanted to know or get an idea of what aviation is like in Italy.

What sort of General Aviation scene has Italy got? How do most of the pilots that get into Italian Airlines get there? Are they all ex-airforce or is it a case of hour/experience building in GA? I've also heard of foreign (i.e. non-italian) pilots gaining work in Milan and so on? Do these guys/gals speak Italian? What about in the cockpit - all spoken in Italian? And the Air Law...English or Italian? Is it true that once you are over 24 you can no longer apply to Alitalia? Can anyone help me with my questions?

Obi Wan Kirk
26th Oct 2001, 14:29
HI 123.4 !

Alitalia will either go under or be privatized and in any case this will open the market for more carriers.

Right now the GA market is booming, if you have a bit of experience and you go for a walk to the ATA side of Milan Linate airport you'll probably get offered a few jobs.

Licence wise you need to have an Italian CPL or ATPL or the European equivalent. There are plenty of foreign pilots working in Italy. AirEurope, Volare, Gandalf Airlines, Azzurra, Alpi Eagles, Volare all have foreigners flying for them.

My suggestion is for you to get on a plane and go and shop around. If you have any contacts within the Italian aviation industry use them!

Buona Fortuna!

27th Oct 2001, 04:09
That is very exciting stuff Obi thank-you very much. Unfortunately I don't have the Euro-licences YET. My dream is to end up flying in Italy eventually. I wrote to most of these companies but got no reply and figured that you have to actually be there to get noticed. At this point I only have single piston experience so I think I've got some work to do before they take notice. I suppose in my favour is that I speak the language and absolutely love the place and the people.

Do they have any age restrictions? I'm going to build my experience here for now and then eventually have a go at converting the licence.

Thank-you again

Obi Wan Kirk
27th Oct 2001, 22:08
Dear 123.4,

I have to warn you about one important thing on the Italian aviation market:

Italy is a lovely place to holiday in, buy nice clothes and eat good food. Working there is very different. If you're a wheeler and dealer you'll be fine. If you think that working hard at your job and being professional will give you a successful career it's not the place.

What I mean is the standards are very different to the UK, Scandinavia or Australia. If you can put up with that together with the Italian "creative" way of organizing an airline you'll be fine. "Creative" organization means hiring ramp agents that receive hardly any training and can't speak English and other interesting things...

Buona Fortuna!

28th Oct 2001, 06:50
Thank-you again Obi. At the moment I'm staying right here to build on my knowledge and experience. Unfortunately though, Australia only has one large carrier and if you miss out on it (as many do) your chances of flying a jet for a living are quite minimal. So one day I may have to look elsewhere, be it Europe, US or wherever.

I take on board your point about Italy and the "creative" environment within the workplace.

How does an airline run under this sort of chaos? Are they all like that? I basically look to Italy as I spent many happy years there and may one day return.

Looking forward to see what comes of this Alitalia situation - I hope too many people aren't out of work as a result. Thanks again

Obi Wan Kirk
29th Oct 2001, 14:47
Hi 123.4,

Unfortunately most Italian airlines are "creative" in their management style. Being Australian why don't you try in the UK.In the next 6 months the market will be picking up and you could get yourself a job with Loganair or something similar. From there progress into an easyjet and then head for a place like emirates.

Good Luck!

30th Oct 2001, 03:27
That would be nice Obi but unfortunately having done my training and licencing over here I have basically backed myself into a corner as far as employment is concerned. My plan is to go as far as I can here and then perhaps convert my licence. The question is- Will European airlines value my experience here once I have my JAR licence? I was looking to Italy as I speak the language and thought having both languages might help (plus i love Italy).

I read a while back a thread that was discussing quick licence conversions and raised Italy as the place to do it. Do you know what is involved?

People here say "oh just go over there you are sure to get something". My answer is that you MUST have the JAR licence and that's that.

Thanks again 123.40

AMEX
31st Oct 2001, 15:32
Hi Obi W,

Check your Private Mail !!

123.40:
Unless you have very good contact/or lots of experience, you are right, you will need a European licence. I think that's how you will stand the best chances of employement but of course there always exceptions and I am sure someone could come and prove it but probably not the majority.
I always think it is a shame that we can't fly where we want without having to convert/spend money in yet another licence.

Good Luck anyway

Joaquín
5th Nov 2001, 01:37
I do have a European License but very little experience. Any chance somebody has information about how to contact pilot recruitment? Nor Gandalf, Volare or the others' web sites seem to have information about that....

Any help much appreciated.