PDA

View Full Version : Whats up in Switzerland?

RHAG
28th Jan 2011, 12:15
I hear swiss ATC school needs instructors like there going out of style.
Contracts to fill and no one to instruct on the contract.
Anyone know anything, how many needed, conditions, pay, start date, contract duration etc.?

ATCO94
16th Feb 2011, 08:57
What I understand is they are looking for VE...ERY VE..ERY higly qualified ???? ATCO instructors from Europe.
Outsiders may not have a chance to hear from worthriff oops them.:ugh:

Does anybody know the money they are going to offer!!!

Mike_Retired_ATC
16th Feb 2011, 14:39
From an email I received they are looking for instructors that were controllers from that part of the world that were also certified instructors, which eliminates all of us retired FAA controllers from the States.

BurglarsDog
17th Feb 2011, 14:25
£100K equiv

Willise
23rd Feb 2011, 15:32
I just received an email to participate in an interview for these positions.

Does anyone have an idea on what the salary is, cost of living, pensions, etc with Skyguide?

Thanks a million!!!

niknak
23rd Feb 2011, 19:17
Salary already indicated.
Usually positions like this are on rolling contracts (about 5 years or so) so imagine that they'll have a pension scheme of sorts but you may be etter off making your own private arrangements.

If you look on the appropriate web sites (with the help of Google) you'll find all you need to know about the cost of living.
Property rental isn't cheap, but if you share a house or similar, it brings costs down.
The Swiss transport system is very well catered for, and in the major cities etc there's no need to own a car as the trains, trams and bus networks are very good.
The only downside would be if you needed to be "back home" on a regular basis, Zurich to most of Europe is no more than around 2 hours, to elsewhere its a lot longer and more expensive.

japanac
24th Feb 2011, 07:20
Everyone planning to go to Switzerland to work should keep in mind living costs (prices) of basic things overthere. It is significantlly more expencive then rest of the Europe.

Very good web site to check certain rules (helth insurance, pension, import of car,Tax rules etc), prices of accomodation..is www.comparis.ch (http://www.comparis.ch) .

Just a few tips:
- You have to pay health insurance for yourself from your neto salary each month , very basic one is around 400CHF p/m. (but with very high francise)
- internet,phone,TV costs are much more than in France ,Belgium or Germany
- General check up with GP doctor will cost you easily 200CHF
- for 2000CHF p/m you can NOT rent a decent appartment in Zurich, so if you come with familly it is very expencive for accomodation
- Be careful if you receive more that 120.000CHF per/year you will go under special tax regime, will be additionally taxed.
- Flights to/from Zurich are the most expencive ones in the Europe, I don't know why but check it on some flight boooking web sites.

I would say it is not worth going to Skyguide to any position without 160.000 CHF as a minimun.

Willise
24th Feb 2011, 13:01
Further research from a friend who works in Geneva for Skyguide indicates the salary may be more like 190,000 CHF.

But with a family of four, that itself may be too low.

I'll have to wait for the interview and see what the actual figure is.

BurglarsDog
24th Feb 2011, 17:16
japanac is very close;)

Danscowpie
24th Feb 2011, 19:21
Flights to/from Zurich are the most expencive ones in the Europe, I don't know why but check it on some flight boooking web sites.

I don't know about the rest of Europe but the UK - Zurich is served by several regional airports as well as the major London ones, some by low cost, others by mainline carriers.
Booked in advance, (which you would be able to do knowing your working schedule in advance), there are some very reasonable fares to be had for commuting to and from the UK.

However, as has been pointed out, if you are relocating lock, stock and barrel, you face a significantly higher cost all round.

RHAG
6th Mar 2011, 11:06
Just been advised that the going rate is 155,000chf with no adjustment for anything. looks like the above values of 160,000 and 190,000 are a dream. was also advised that you'll end up with about 8,000 net each month so it looks like with deductions for the usual living costs you'll be on about 3,000chf in your pocket to keep each month. not enough. informant also says that they are really desperate for staff in the school with contracts to fill etc.

i wont be applying but i am curious now, whats wrong there, staff/customers/management, and why dont they pay a better/good rate for the expertise they need?

Danscowpie
6th Mar 2011, 19:19
I understand that they're facing huge pressure in the form of competition from DFS, who have won a number of major contracts of huge net worth in the recent months.
Although I have no evidence, I am told that unless Skyguide get staffing up to scratch, DFS stand to pinch a number of existing contracts from Skyguide.

Willise
6th Mar 2011, 21:17
When I was contacted regarding an interview, I was told that the salary is 155,000 chf plus an allowance of 15,000 for "settling in". The cost of relocation from your home to Zurich for the house hunting trip and the relocation is at their expense as well.

BurglarsDog
7th Mar 2011, 17:40
Willise

You should have been told more than that.

Im told relocation allowance is CHF 20,000 (TAXABLE|); though it should be CHF 30,000 if married (Im told again) .

Add up to 6% performance based pay pa, plus a potential increment (??) depending on any qualification gained during that year.

Plus other,local benefits e.g. ID 90 Swiss air flights.

Ask and you may receive!

As a litmus test of the cost of living index, beer is about CHF 9 a pint in Zurich.

What contract have they won, what does it involve, and how many are they short - anyone?

BD

Willise
7th Mar 2011, 20:46
"For employees coming from abroad we also offer a so-called "relocation package". This includes the moving expenses (up to a certain amount) and the assistance with finding accommodation here. Travel costs to Switzerland for the house visit tour and the start of work go to our expense.
In addition to these conditions we also grant a "settling-in allowance" of CHF 10'000.- if you come alone or CHF 15'000.- if you come with the family. This allowance shall help covering school fees for international schools, German courses for the spouse or other costs in relation with a relocation to Switzerland."

This is what was sent to me. The interview is scheduled for the next couple of weeks.

International schools, I've been researching, are VERY expensive, so the salary seems low to me, unless there are an awful lot of perks.

Saliantpoint
7th Mar 2011, 21:41
Hey Willise

What do you want?

The figures are out; and forget International schools.......a 10 min taxi costs CHF45! ......or was that 12 minutes?

If you are of controlling age - keep controlling!

If you aint and need a retirement supp forget it.. or go alone and commute .

japanac
8th Mar 2011, 07:40
Guys,

Something more to consider before making decision to go to Switzerland or not is rules for taxations.

They are different in every canton, even in every community.
General pattern is, the places with cheaper accomodation prices have much higher tax rates and vice versa. Attention going somwhere outside to rent appartment/house does not mean saving the money, they will take it is just a question is it going to be taken by taxex or high rent.

Be firm/hard when negotiating with Skyguide,it works, almost each emplyee in Skayguide has different contract/qonditions, it is realy like on the market. My impresion is that they prefere cheap labour even if it means a bit less quality.

Of course it depends where you come from and what salary you have at the moment but due to high living costs I would advice you do not accept figurs lower than 160.000, everything below that means you will have to live very carefully your dayly life in Switzerland and you will not save much.