PDA

View Full Version : Type Rating Conversion

magnum
25th Oct 2001, 12:48
I have tried before, but there was no reply.
Anyone out there who knows how to convert a european type rating to a FAA licence?
Thanks for your help.

iaflyer
26th Oct 2001, 02:22
Do you want a US certificate based on your European license, or a US certificate on it's own?

The difference is that a US certificate based on your European would expire when your European license expired (if it did) and would have whatever limitations your European license had (ie: no night or something like that).

A US certificate on it's own wouldn't be based on your European (surprise huh).

I believe the first one (based on European) is very easy, just paperwork (don't hold me to it) but the second is basically getting another license - you'd have to take written test, fly hours, get signed off from an instructor and take a practical test.

Hope it helps

iaflyer

englishal
26th Oct 2001, 07:37
Yea, to get an FAA licence (PPL) based on the European one is a piece of cake, and they'll convert type ratings also. Example, you have JAR with Multi engine, then this is directly transfered to your FAA licence (based on your foreign licence), so you would be issued an FAA licence with ME. The only exception is the IR, where you have to take the 'Instrument Foreign Pilot' ground exams, but no flight test.

You can get a stand alone licence by either taking the flight test / ground exams or training for the next higher level of licence, for example FAA CPL...

Shame it doesn't work both ways isn't it....

magnum
26th Oct 2001, 12:43
Thank you guys. I already have a "stand-alone" FAA ATP and am now seeking to incorporate my B777 type rating in it so that i wont lose it in my lifetime. Sorry for not being clear enough in my initial post. Any idea how to manage that with as little money and time as possible?

englishal
26th Oct 2001, 23:46
Ah, I see....a bit out of my league I'm afraid, sorry...

DownIn3Green
27th Oct 2001, 14:58
Mag,

I think, but not positive, that there is an easy but not cheap (as it's a 777) way. Just call up a sim center that has the 777 and take a check ride.

You might try to call Mark Stern at Higher Power Aviation in Dallas (1 800 Jet Type). I don't think they do the 777 but everytime I have this kind of question come up on one of my contracts he has always seemed to be a reliable source that could at least point me in the right direction.

magnum
30th Oct 2001, 13:57
Thanks downin3green. Thats a start. will call him up and see what he suggests. Thanks for your help.