PDA

View Full Version : canada jobs low hours pilot

DMcC
26th Jan 2011, 19:00
HI All, having recently completed meir and mcc i am consedering moving to canada to gain hours and experience.Any ideas on best places to go or companies to apply too

sgs233a
26th Jan 2011, 22:18
First big question is; do you have the legal right to work in Canada? Make sure you have that in order before making any plans.

Assuming that the above is taken care of, there are a few other things to know-

-Jobs for low timers are NOT easy to find. They do however exist.
-there are MANY out of work low time pilots in Canada
-there are MANY low time pilots in Canada willing to work for almost nothing
-unless you have an "in", as a low time guy, chances of being hired off an emailed CV are slim to none
-other than instructing, a lot of folks in Canada start out working a ramp, or dock, or something similar for a year or two before moving to a flying seat. I'm crossing my fingers for a ramp job right now, as a friend has just given my CV to his supervisor at a company that hires from the ramp to the RH seat of a Metro usually within a year or so (provided all goes well with work, interviews, sim rides, etc), and pilots working the ramp are provided access to sims 2x /month.... though that company is very much the exception in this regard
-another common way to get that first job is by visiting smaller operators in person.... I visited MANY across northern Canada last spring on the way from Ottawa out to BC to fly a glider and tow plane for peanuts. One of the operators I'd visited later hired me as a dispatcher (and supposedly a King Air 100 F/O, though that never materialized, and things did not work out well with that operator) - by the time I was back in Ottawa in October, I'd driven 25,000 KM since May - Canada is a VERY big country
-pay and conditions at many small operators are just......well, you'll be eating a lot of Kraft Dinner

Good luck, whichever route you choose!

Also, try some searches on the forums over at AvCanada - you'll find a fair bit of information there, though many folks over there aren't all that friendly in their posts.

rotornut
26th Jan 2011, 23:31
colpaz
Bearskin? You have the right to remain silent.

sgs233a
27th Jan 2011, 05:25
Nope, though that'd be great though, they're much closer to home (Ottawa), and actually have a number of scheduled Ottawa flights! Higher minimums. I've applied there twice in the last year though...