PDA

View Full Version : 10540 Congratulations on over 12000 posts

Pace
26th Jan 2011, 18:01
Amazed to see that 10540 has broken the 12000 post barrier ;) must be like braking the sound barrier.
Thought mine was bad at 1900 :E

Seriously though with little going on in the forums what is so addictive about PPRUNE that warrants us all posting so much?

What is the motivation? Is it to Glean information or more than that?

Some posts are generated by real issues like the N reg, the IMCR but what drives us to post even on trivia like a guy being told to go around at 450 feet.

Who is the highest poster ever on PPRUNE?

Where do we hardworking people get the time to post so much and where from?

I know mine are from the PC and my I phone 4 but I have to keep checking in ;)

How much posting is to say how clever we are and better than you? Pecking order? and who are the forum celebs? is that what its about? :E

I know there are people here whos knowlege shines through and who I learn from!

Pace

rjay259
26th Jan 2011, 18:13
I always learn from what other people have to say (even with a little pinch of salt).

Stars would be Heathrow director, IO540, yeoman for me.

p.s congrats i think to IO540

Pace
26th Jan 2011, 18:17
10540 is one of my Celebs and also carries a wealth of information and detail which I dont have.

Pace

Jan Olieslagers
26th Jan 2011, 18:27
What is the motivation? Is it to Glean information or more than that?It is nice to be among people, some of them vastly different, and discuss topics of common interest. Especially nice that most have backgrounds very different from mine.

Some posts are generated by real issues like the N reg, the IMCR but what drives us to post even on trivia like a guy being told to go around at 450 feet.That is far from trivial to me - if ever I come to fly at a UK aerodrome I'll know at least about some of the things I should be prepared for. The N-reg issue is far more trivial to me.

Who is the highest poster ever on PPRuNe? Who cares? Quality has more value than quantity.

Where do we hardworking people get the time to post so much and where from? I never claimed to be hardworking, and I do occasionally post from the office, but mostly from home, just before or just after dinner.

How much posting is to say how clever we are and better than you? Pecking order? and who are the forum celebs? is that what its about? Several of my postings have rather shown my stupidity, I think. Nothing wrong with that: I am a foreigner, so there will inevitably be differences, and on top of that I am a beginner pilot with lots to learn everywhere.

I know there are people here whos knowlege shines through and who I learn from! Second that, except for the typo's.

patowalker
26th Jan 2011, 18:37
Second that, except for the typo's.

Because you are foreign, the greengrocer's apostrophe is forgiven. :)

W2k
26th Jan 2011, 18:40
I think it's supposed to be IO540 (India-Oscar-540), like the engine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycoming_O-540), actually. Not to be a smartass or anything (although I am that too).

Almost at 60 posts!:ok:

Jan Olieslagers
26th Jan 2011, 18:51
Quote:
Second that, except for the typo's.
Because you are foreign, the greengrocer's apostrophe is forgiven. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

Happy to receive that with as broad a smile as it was sent with! And I promise to take yet more care on upcoming contributions.

mikehallam
26th Jan 2011, 19:06
Typo. is an abbreviation for "typographical error".

Typo's is thus read as an abrreviation for several errors & the apostrophe is correctly placed.

Never doubt it, 'foreigners' use of English is often more accurate than the natives themselves execute.

mikehallam.

Jan Olieslagers
26th Jan 2011, 19:22
Thanks for support, mikehallam, but I do think Patowalker was right. The more so for saying his little bit with a wide smile!

Back to the original subject: the "hardworking" bit wasn't really appropriate. It doesn't apply to my self, but - more to the point - neither did IO540 ever claim any working - hard or otherwise.

After all, who cares? Some people oblige us merely by their presence. To expect actual work from them would be presumptious,

noblue
26th Jan 2011, 19:34
I particularly appreciate the amount of expertise that IO540 never ceases to share. I found his information especially useful on my journey to the FAAIR. Thanks mate, keep it up :ok:.

vanHorck
26th Jan 2011, 19:49
I have met IO... He exists... He's even friendly and likable!

More importantly I am often humbled by his knowledge.

He does not suffer fools and has strong opinions, I wish he was editor in chief of a GA magazine which would have sufficient subscribers allowing it to be independent from the advertisers. Now that would make for a powerful combination!

Starting this thread was appropriate Pace, well done!

Bert
:D:D:D:D:D

Skycop
26th Jan 2011, 19:58
:}

I suppose you lot have never heard about the infamous Aunty Mary's Lottery winnings?

Unless things on the website have changed, you might soon wish you had.

IO540
26th Jan 2011, 20:14
Thank you for the kind comments.

Believe it or not I post here to help people out (well, in most cases :) ).

It is made possible because I work a lot on a PC anyway.

I think Beagle is the top man here?

Whirlygig
26th Jan 2011, 20:20
It is considered poor form to talk about ones Aunty Mary's Lottery winnings ... :}

IO540, congratulations on your Aunt's good fortune.

Cheers

Whirls

PS - the plural of typo is typos.

mikehallam
26th Jan 2011, 21:03
Depend's if its a 'real' word or not.:=

TYPO
 /ˈtaɪpoʊ/
[tahy-poh]

–noun, plural -pos. Informal .
typographical error.

Origin:
1890–95; shortened form.

mikehallam

BackPacker
26th Jan 2011, 21:29
Congrats IO. I've got a long way to go yet...

Pace
26th Jan 2011, 21:55
Would be interesting to know who the highest current poster is in pprune? Am sure 10540 must be if not the highest one of the highest?

Pace

pistongone
26th Jan 2011, 22:06
Well done IO540:ok: Just thinking it through though, if you assume each post from log on to off etc was >5mins we can then calculate an online time in excess of 1000hrs:eek: Thats probably more than most Forumites have logged in the book! Safe flying all.

flybymike
26th Jan 2011, 23:18
IO is even sadder than might be supposed . He has nearly 5000 posts on the Flyer website and God knows how many on others....;)

IO540
27th Jan 2011, 05:40
Far less than 5 mins per post, on average.

Pace
27th Jan 2011, 07:03
While 10540s posting totals are amazing and instigated this thread I was hoping to get more from others here on what motivates their own interest in PPRUNE?
Is it more of an addiction? What makes us post just for the sake of posting
Or cover the same subjects time and time again.
10540 in reality it is probably more than five minutes a posting.
You have to think about your answers research the detail write it. If like me you will probably spend another five minutes changing it correcting grammar or deleting it :{

Pace nb written on I phone so don't expect perfection :)

patowalker
27th Jan 2011, 08:12
Never doubt it, 'foreigners' use of English is often more accurate than the natives themselves execute.

I couldn't possibly disagree. The subject of this thread is a foreigner and my first language is Spanish. :)

rml133
27th Jan 2011, 08:15
Let me add my own thumbs up to IO540. I've been following his posts for years on several sites. They are always consise, full of readable information. I can believe that each post is an average of 5 mins as I don't think he researches before the post; it is just his acquired knowledge and experience gained through his interest and passion for GA, which I think goes back over 10-12 years.

Clearly, he is one of those people who just love to write. Anyone who has seen his website can see this passion. Really, you won't find this stuff anywhere else. As a fellow TB20 owner, his is an invaluable resource. As far as I'm concerned, his presence is sorely missed on the TB Users Group forum.

Me, I spend my 5 mins reading the forum. However, I've now registered so that I can voice my own appreciation of IO540. People like him are the real stars of online forums.

Aerials
27th Jan 2011, 08:25
Pace, what a wonderful way to bring all PPruNers together for a nice round table discussion without any acrimony (so far!) Thank you.

For this budgie pilot, reading anecdotes about real flying events is deeply engrossing. I have a very sympathetic boss who as long as I produce the goods, spares me a few minutes here and there. I suppose the discussion about the politics surrounding our common interest leaves me a bit unenthusiastic but this is because I have no input to make. It’s all a bit out of my recent experience.

Beagle is one of my favourite celebs here – he seems to be the unofficial voice of CAA. I also thoroughly enjoy his contributions in Mil Air and AH&N. My other celebs are IO540 of course, Pace, Pilot DAR, bose X, SNS3Guppy along with a few others who write in a straightforward way and speak their mind. I really admire those who are open to persuasion into taking a different view on a topic. There are others who with their ‘willy waving’, without making their point, just waste my time. I wonder how many other folk think in similar ways?

Nobody is on my ‘ignore’ list yet. (If I was brave enough though, I would be a part-time spelling and grammar policeman!)

To answer your last post Pace, it is an addiction for me and like you, I have worked out which contributers give me food for thought and those who don’t.

Congratulations IO540 on breaking a significant number of posts! Having only read the more recent ones, was there a thread like this generated for your 10,000th?

AN2 Driver
27th Jan 2011, 08:26
PPRUNE is one of my daily stops in the www and often stays in an open browser window far longer than originally planned. This section here has a lot of information on the subject of private flying, friendly folks who help out and who are always willing to listen and discuss.

In today's situation, forums like this and the people who talk to each other and learn from each other are a vital instrument in keeping our dreams and hopes alive. Who else to talk to about the things going on in GA, many of them not encouraging, then the folks here, who share the passion for flying as well as the fear of the loss of the same to the brave new world of regulated Europe.

IO540, you have been and are an inspiration to me personally and without any doubt to many around here. You do what many of us dream of but can't get there for various reasons, but the very fact that you do and talk about it will inspire others. 12'000 posts can be achieved in many different ways, but I would like to say that not one of yours has been in vain. Quantity and quality do not match often, you, sir, are an exception to this rule.

Especcially today, where GA is in severe peril and under attack from many different sides, it is important to talk about it, to share the experiences and to show the odd picture and travel report to remind all of us why we bother.

Keep the good work coming.

Best regards
AN2 Driver

Ryan5252
27th Jan 2011, 09:20
IO540 I feel has taught me alot in a relaitvely short period of time. His website, as mentioned above, makes for excellent reading. However, rather than the post count one may have, what makes me shut up and listen is when I discover that someone has went down the same road I intend on going down and this is the case with IO540. i.e. PPL not for the sake of going for £100 coffee or bacon buttie, but to actually go places (whenever I can, Instructing is where my heart truely lies, for now).

So his stories of gaining his PPL leading on to IMC training, buying a (Dutch I think?) reg aircraft (TB20), placing it on the UK G register, operating it in a non equity group before taking over the aircraft himself, FAA IR and placing the aircraft on the N register and his write-ups of some serious IFR trips over europe. (Though I am disappointed to see by a map on his site he appears to only have been to Ireland once :=) All this is relevant information to my aim and if I get as much out flying in the next few decades as IO540 has then I'm not doing too bad at all!

Also, I would take his posts seriously because I can tell by his writing (which counts for alot in enviroments such as these) that he is quite the perfectionist and believes, quite strongly I would say, that there is little point in only putting in half the effort required to try and do something properly.

To answer Pace's question, why do I post on here? Short answer is I don't. Well not anything of much use anyway! If there was a way to display how many topics or posts I have read well thats another story....

Ryan

Pace
27th Jan 2011, 09:37
AN2

I echo your sentiments! I have dealt with 10540 a lot over the N reg controversy and am always amazed by his detailed knowledge (and research)

As for myself I dont carry the detail that People Like 10540, Guppy, Bose just to name a few do.
But I suppose we all bring different things to the table.

Mine with all my twin prop and jet flying as well as jet ferry work?

How not to do it!!! :E How to attempt to kill yourself and not succeed. (yet :{

The main thing is we all learn maybe change inground views and see other peoples point of view!AND CHALLENGE!! (So important) But PPRUNE would not exist without the contributors and there are very many excellent ones.

Pace

Kolossi
27th Jan 2011, 10:34
Well I log in here as a 15-hour-and-one-solo wannabe PPL, and learn a heck of a lot. In answer to the original question I post only when I think it's helpful - generally to fellow newbees (well ok, to my eternal shame for my first post I piled into the BA038 thread as well and got immediately and correctly dumped to JetBlast! :hmm:).

I admire IO540's knowledge and am very envious of his TB20 adventures, but they always reinvigorate my enthusiasm even for my spamcan flying. Thanks IO540, long may you continue :ok:

Pace, I gain a lot from your posts too, but I've wondered this for ages and now have a reasonable excuse for asking - why on earth do you consistently post 10540 rather than IO540? :confused:

Pace
27th Jan 2011, 10:58
why on earth do you consistently post 10540 rather than IO540

Kolossi

IO540 takes 5 minutes for each post I take 30 seconds;) That is why no one ever understands a thing I am talking about :ugh:

Hence its shorthand! ie if I have to get a capital I, I have to put the caps lock on,take it off after hitting the O and then go to the number keys for the 540.
Looks almost the same to do it 10540 and a lot quicker so put it down as an energy and efficiency process (Lazy) :cool:

Pace

Fuji Abound
27th Jan 2011, 10:59
Well done IO540!

We have flown together a few times in his beautiful aircraft and he in some of the aircraft I fly. Good company and ever interesting posts!

As to why we do it well I am afraid I have been posting here as long as many - although I think a few have been around for even more years.

It is a great way of keeping up with developments, sharing a little gossip and banter and, hopefully, passing on a few experiences.

nick ritter
27th Jan 2011, 11:01
Hi Pace,

In answer to your initial post, my own motivation for posting on PPRuNe is driven almost entirely from a desire to gain a greater knowledge and understanding from those who are far more advanced than I am

As a relatively new PPL, I find the site a great asset to tap into. As flying is a hobby of mine, I enjoy opening the site on my I phone to just browse through as and when I am free

As I intend to use my PPL to travel for pleasure, be it trips to Italy or the South of France for long weekends, I am drawn most to threads that are based around trips or people asking for advice on such trips

The natural thing that follows from this is how to get there and I find myself drawn to the GPS and software systems threads (especially as these are not taught at all during the PPL and are all new to me)

Equally as I am 2/3rds of the way through my IMC training and I am drawn to threads that relate to this

The thing that stands out most to me from 10540 (over my very brief PPRuNe experience) is his willingness to help out. Perhaps not always seen on the thread, but the off thread comments of advice and the offer to come and sit down to help

For someone like myself, this offer is fantastic and much appreciated, as indeed is all the advice and experience that other PPRuNer’s give through their posts

So thank you

Nick

24Carrot
27th Jan 2011, 13:22
Congrats and thanks to IO540, and thanks also to the others named above, to whom I would surely add bookworm, Fuji Abound, Shy Torque and Whopity.

I mostly lurk and search pprune, and learn enormous amounts from it, that's why I keep coming back. If I don't know the answer to something that is bugging me, I may post a question. If somebody else asks something and I think I know the answer I will post it, though I am frequently corrected, and that's OK too!

Another reason for posting is an inability to contain my puerile humour!:ooh:

flybymike
27th Jan 2011, 14:53
Since we are all being unusually polite about one another, I would just nominate Pace himself, both for instigating this thread, and also (especially for someone who is not strictly a private flyer) making such useful and readable contributions to this particular forum. ;)

PS I have no idea where IO gets his energy from. He has done far more than his fair share for me on a personal, "off forum" level also.

IO540
27th Jan 2011, 15:03
Porridge, almonds, raisins and soya milk for breakfast :)

Pace
27th Jan 2011, 15:15
10540 with the 10 not the IO ;) Energy and efficiency saving !!You will be getting a head as big as your posting numbers with all these adoring posts!

Maybe you should take me on as your PR Manager I am cheap.

Pace

vanHorck
27th Jan 2011, 16:48
Could one of the mods please remove 20 or so postings of IO for reasons only known to them (as per usual) so we can have another celebration in a few weeks please?

Ryan5252
27th Jan 2011, 19:17
IO540 (http://www.pprune.org/members/71715-io540)

12,010 eh? Who'a thunkit? ...and at 93 years young too! :p

Pilot DAR
28th Jan 2011, 03:41
Yes, I've been trying to think of something really witty to say about this accomplishment, but all I can come up with is well done IO. I wonder how you find the time, as I'll see a new post or two pop in inbetween a couple of email he has sent me!

He did comment that longitude 079 west was too far for a fly in, but I know we'll get together sometime in the future for some flying!

Keep 'em coming IO.....

kevmusic
28th Jan 2011, 07:03
Well done, IO :ok: A milestone achieved through a willingness to help people.

172driver
28th Jan 2011, 08:31
Well done, mate! Always a pleasure reading - an meeting - you!

Have to say, you don't really look your 93 ;) !

Cheers!

soaringhigh650
28th Jan 2011, 09:53
Like others here, I send my congratulations to IO540. He has really taken a lot of his time to share his wealth of knowledge and experience to all. His posts are very interesting to read and invaluable to the pilot community. From aircraft ownership and maintenance to flying tips and techniques, to flight planning, weather planning and safety. So a huge thank you! :ok:

In a constructive spirit, my only criticism of him is that when it comes to areas of advocacy he can turn a little bit defeatist and make some things seem much harder than they really are to achieve.

But overall, I have no hesitation in recommending him for the next round of the UK's CAA General Aviation Safety Awards and to nominate him for a senior position in AOPA if he is not already on there.

Pace
28th Jan 2011, 09:58
ADVOCACY

active support of an idea or cause etc.; especially the act of pleading or arguing for something

10540 has been very active on the N reg attack by our beloved EASA.

Sadly reading the CAA Bulletin the CAA are allowing N reg to 2014 dont hold out much chance of a Bi Lateral agreement ever coming into place and are literally stating game up after that.

IMCR too will no longer exist other than those who hold one will be able to continue its privalages but the rating itself will be gone.

As for the EASA PPL IR? what a con trick by EASA all the way through.

Pace

DBo
28th Jan 2011, 10:10
Can I add my congratulations to IO540 - I need to get my post count up somehow!

Dave

englishal
28th Jan 2011, 10:18
I think IO should chair one of the GA organisations as we'd get a lot done then ;) Would get my vote anyway.....

There are two types of poster on Pprune...those who know what they are talking about due to their own experiences (the likes of IO, Pace, Fuji to name a few...), and those that want us to think that they know what they are talking about but don't really ;)... The former group have been very helpful over the past years, and IO's private website where he writes up his experiences have helped me a lot....and recently we managed to get our CofA issued thanks to one of his contacts :ok:

beany
28th Jan 2011, 11:03
Congrats to IO! :ok:

Englishal, I agree that there are posters who know what they are talking about, that many can learn from them and that IO is undoubtedly in this category. I hold yourself in this category too from what I have seen. However, to say there are 2 distinct categories only is probably not right. I certainly do not put myself in the category where I have a great deal to offer people at this stage, however I also have no intention of trying to make others believe that my knowledge of aviation or otherwise exceeds reality. You see?

There are a spectrum of posters from those with extensive knowledge and experience with more to offer than to learn from being here to those inexperienced ones with a lot to learn (everyone has been/will be there at some point!). You'll always get those who think their standing is higher than it is but just because someone is not in the first category, doesn't put them in the second.

Anyway, apologies for the drift.

Back to IO..........

Bhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

englishal
28th Jan 2011, 12:01
I hold yourself in this category too from what I have seen
now I am embarassed...but thanks ! :O;)

You are right of course, everyone can add a little of their own experiences which people hopefully learn off. I have learned shed loads from these forums, but one must be very careful to filter out those who "give the impression" that they are a shuttle pilot who know everything, and those who really are a shuttle pilot.

I remember in Earnst K Gann's book Fate is the Hunter, he recounts one flight back from Hawaii. He's been flying with this FO for a while now, and this time he gives control to the FO. His flying is awful and he is quite worried by it. Transpires later that this chap didn't even hold a pilot licence and had just blagged his way in!

I am sure there are a few of those on these boards.....:8

Pace
28th Jan 2011, 12:04
Beany

I 100% Agree with you. Different people bring different talents to the table. Some bring intricate detail, some bring a lot of practical experience, some bring legal knowledge. some bring engineering knowledge, some bring instructional knowledge etc etc etc.

Some come here more to teach others come here more to Learn, but its surprising how often the teachers learn and the learners teach.

Often you can think you know the answer and push that in the forum. You can get to a point that you realise that you didnt know the answer or did but in a blinkered way! or that you were seeing the solution from the wrong angle and not from the angle that another views it.

But thats the beauty of these forums we are all here to learn and all here to conribute in our own ways.

When I was involved in flight sim development we had forums too. We had a guy who pretended to be an airline pilot. His detail was amazing and we all believed he flew a 747 until a few obvious holes appeared.
He turned out to be a 13 year old kid who had amazing talents at googling.Yet at least his googling researched a lot of answers for the rest of us so why knock him :E The real deals shine through and I could name many who I admire and listen to in these forums.

Its the Willy waving that ruins things. We all make mistakes but there are those who jump on those mistakes to highlight their own superior knowledge and their own percieved perfection that is sickening.
You cannot let a mistake go because that would be equally wrong but there are ways of rectifying those mistakes which are respectful and diplomatic without all the willy waving.

Pace

Fuji Abound
28th Jan 2011, 16:12
I was just looking at some of the other posters on thsi thread.

Whirlygig

- has done pretty well, which is good to see. Well done Whirls. I dont think she posts any where near as much as she once did - sustaining the level of posting activity necessary to elivate to IO540s position is indeed an accomplishment in itself.

Pace

- well I wonder where your own posting record will be in a years time.

IO540
28th Jan 2011, 16:26
Thank you all for the kind comments :) but as I said earlier, I am not the top poster here. Beagle is over 17k posts.

A lot of people have left, but that is just normal and moreover there is a general drift of old-timers away from forums because to a large degree most things have been said already.

What I'd like is to keep this forum useful to others. That is the main use, and is the only sustainable use of it because there aren't all that many topics to talk about.

The other way to keep a forum going is to turn it into a cliquey pub (like some are) and that would be a shame because those with something interesting to say will definitely depart when that happens. I would certainly clear off because I don't need the internet to "live".

There was Whirlygig and Whirlybird - two different women.

kevmusic
28th Jan 2011, 19:54
Have to agree there, re Whirls and Whirly. Both sadly missed here - I enjoyed their common sense, experience, modesty and humour. And G-EMMA was shaping up in that mould too, until her sudden, unexplained departure.

beany
28th Jan 2011, 23:03
Englishal and Pace, I'm very much in agreement! I suppose to a certain extent it's all about sifting the nonsense from the some-sense and the sense! That in itself takes some experience I suppose.

now I am embarassed...but thanks ! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/embarass.gif;)

Very welcome.... true story ;)

B

Pace
29th Jan 2011, 11:55
Fuji

I doubt I will catch up 10540 ;)
My start date 2001 and 1900 posts
10540 start 2003 and 12000 posts
I thought I was high with 1900 ?

Pace