PDA

View Full Version : past and present FLYING

Lucavdh
26th Jan 2011, 14:43
What's the difference between a pilot's Role today ,compared with the past ?

con-pilot
26th Jan 2011, 15:57
To be very honest, there have been countless threads and posts on this very subject. It all boils down to that we old farts believe that the new younger generation of pilots are overly dependent on automation.

Not that I, or most of the older pilots have anything against automation, we just feel that in todays world there is just too much dependency on said automation.

Shoot, the first time I flew an aircraft with a FMS, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Course I felt the same way when I first flew an aircraft that had an ground speed readout on the DME. :p

411A
26th Jan 2011, 17:04
Not that I, or most of the older pilots have anything against automation, we just feel that in todays world there is just too much dependency on said automation.

Shoot, the first time I flew an aircraft with a FMS, I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

All too true.
Especially, if said FMS had full time engine thrust management.

Neptunus Rex
26th Jan 2011, 18:04
The difference has nothing to do with automation. Twenty years ago, Captains had authority. That authority has been continually eroded by management and beancounters in order to reduce pilots Terms and Conditions and augment their own bonuses.. It's that simple.

MikeJuliet
26th Jan 2011, 22:07
Captains had authority
Or too much of it, as in Tenerife (even though it happened 34 years ago). But pilots had respect, now they're seen by PAXs more like bus drivers. The only thing remained is the applause after landing :D :rolleyes:

Exaviator
27th Jan 2011, 02:58

In a nutshell, it is less about pilot skills and more about flight deck management.

411A
27th Jan 2011, 03:14
Twenty years ago, Captains had authority.
Ha!
In a few airlines, they still absolutely do.:ok:

Nightrider
27th Jan 2011, 08:54

In simple terms, there was no PPRuNe and management had no chance to hear all and sundry about the easy conversion from Bill Gates computer games to real world.

Tee Emm
27th Jan 2011, 11:28
That authority has been continually eroded by management and beancounters in order to reduce pilots Terms and Conditions and augment their own bonuses.. It's that simple.

Add to that the concept of CRM where the original aim was for the captain to make use of available "resources" to solve looming problems and that included encouragement for subordinate crew members to add their advice/speak up etc.

Instead the accent on CRM principles has flooded the market and has becone a money making cottage industry - particularly when over- zealous regulators foisted this junk upon the industry in the form of mandatory examinations and courses. Pilots have to spend fortunes buying this crap which is nothing more than common sense.

Now Gen Y pilots use CRM as an excuse for hectoring captains by questioning the smallest operational decision and actively disagreeing with the captain in order to score points and demonstrate new found legally approved "assertiveness."

In turn, this eventually leads to a hostile flight deck atmosphere that has flight safety ramifications that common sense indicates should never been allowed to occur.

eg. Captain to F/O: "Request ATC for approval to divert 30 miles left of track to avoid CB"

F/O: "30 miles you say? That's a bit too much in my view. How about 15 miles left of track - that should do you".

Exaviator
27th Jan 2011, 22:18
F/O: "30 miles you say? That's a bit too much in my view. How about 15 miles left of track - that should do you".
Not on my flight deck ...................

Max Angle
28th Jan 2011, 08:50
The role hasn't changed one bit, you transport your passengers or cargo safely from A to B in an expeditious and efficient manner so that your employer can make a profit out of it. What has changed is pretty much everything else, most of it for the worse.

411A
28th Jan 2011, 14:05
Not on my flight deck ...................

Mine either...:ok: