PDA

View Full Version : Help PPL > NPPL > LAPL

Bigbangman
26th Jan 2011, 10:52
Hi,

Hopefully someone can clarify the following for me as the more i read the more confused I've become.

I wish to get my licence back, its a CAA issued non expiring PPL/A and i last flew in 1992. I am aware of the EASA tinkering that will start next year but i wish to complete this in 2011; so could someone explain what is required to

A) get my old PPL back, experience and exam taking wise

and

B) likewise to use this to get a NPPL, experience and exam taking wise (due a maybe potential medical problem "tablet diabetes")

I have read LASORS and believe its pretty much training agreed by CFI, a LST test and oral technical exam? And bank on about an hour for each year that has gone by!

Additionally, i believe that the likelihood at the moment is that the NPPL will transit to a LAPL from 2012 - 2015 with the same rights and medical as now for the NPPL, e.g. 2000Kg SSEA and DVLA prof level medical. If does go this way am i right in thinking that the LAPL will be valid in all member states, in Annex II and EASA aircraft with 4 pax up to MAUW 2000kg?

Thanks in advance, it is confusing and research seems to be disregarding the old PPL licence and only mention the JAA etc

Obviously if i get as far as getting it back in 2011, 2012 will bring more fun no doubt with its transfer to the EASA regime.

Thanks in advance, and if anyone knows of a good instructor for NPPL SSEA in Midlands / Warwickshire can you let me know (more interested in someone, somewhere thats not building hours for a right seat as had a lot of those the first time around ;) ;))

Cheers :ok::ok::ok:

Stan Evil
26th Jan 2011, 11:50
Congratulations on being one of the very few posters who has actually done some research before asking their question!

Your thoughts are correct. If you can gain a Class 2 medical and pass an LST on a single-piston then you'll have a useable licence again (after paying the CAA more money). It will need converting to an EASA PPL in 2012 (or later depending on the exact transition arrangements) assuming you want to fly PA28s, C152s etc rather than Chipmunks or Tiger Moths. The process has not yet been published but I'd expect that you'd have to perjure yourself by signing a piece of paper saying you've read and you understand EASA Part-FCL - some have done the former but no one I know has done the latter. You'll need to pay more money as well, but the good news is that EASA licences will probably be non-expiring.

If you want to go down the NPPL route then you'll need to get an SSEA rating and GP certification. Again, there'll be a conversion process to an EASA LPL which should involve the same sort of stuff although I believe that the EASA medical requirements will be slightly different.

Gasil
27th Jan 2011, 15:18
I may be wrong but wasn't the CAA-PPL a forerunner to the NPPL(?)

Any way, there are some useful answers on the FAQs at the nppl web site.

NPPL FAQs (http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence.co.uk/faq.php)

G

Whopity
27th Jan 2011, 17:13
Class 2 medical + flight test to renew your UK PPL. That is you best option. It will then convert to any of the others with minimum effort. The time taken to get up to speed will depend on how much flying you originally, did and how long ago it was. See your PMs

BillieBob
28th Jan 2011, 08:25
I may be wrong but wasn't the CAA-PPL a forerunner to the NPPL(?)

No, the CAA PPL was the forerunner to the JAA PPL (and is still equivalent to it in UK registered aircraft).

....am i right in thinking that the LAPL will be valid in all member states, in Annex II and EASA aircraft....
Possibly - the LAPL will certainly be valid in all relevant EASA aircraft but its validity in Annex II aircraft will depend upon each state of registry. The UK CAA have indicated that it will be valid in UK registered Annex II aircraft.

Bigbangman
28th Jan 2011, 09:42
Hi,

THanks for all the replies.

It seems to be along the lines I thought for getting the licence back, I assume that the examinations do not need to be retaken, but you need to satisfy the the instructor /CFI when retraining of your relevant knowledge.

"Gasil" - as stated the old PPL was a fully blown one, in the "olden days" back then there wasn't anything along the lines of a NPPL.

"Whopity" - thanks for the advice and recommendations, have pm'd you back. Only thing is I'm pretty sure that I'm down the NPPL route due the diabetes, so if they are wanting a Class 2 for the LAPL I may as well give up before
starting, (as it stands now the NPPL will fully my current needs and aspirations)

"Billie Bob" - thanks useful info that it envisaged the LAPL will be for EASA up to 2000kg etc.

As my decision going forward is I suspect very much about the Medical for the LAPL being no more onerous than the DVLA professional standards does anyone know when this will all become clear, or the current position? As this is just over a year away I would have thought it must be soon as personally I don't want to commit expenditure to something I may not be able to see through if the goal post are moved too far from now.

Thanks again everyone.

xrayalpha
28th Jan 2011, 15:28
Bigbangman,

If the tablets are a problem, try out a C42 microlight.

Microlights are outside EASA, and will continue to be. So no medical worries. And you'll be pleasantly surprised by the modern ones, like the C42. Way different from what was in the air the last time you had a licence.

May not be a Cessna, but it will get you back in the air and having fun!

Bigbangman
28th Jan 2011, 17:59
Hi xrayalpha,

I've kept up with developments over the years and the microlights have come a long way, like the Jabaru etc

My only problem is that being about 130kg (ok I need a diet) it restricts the usefulness and duration and make the cockpit a lonely place, it would also call for a small, light instruction, but you never know !!!

Cheers

Miroku
28th Jan 2011, 18:23
If they are wanting a Class 2 for the LAPL I may as well give up before
starting

Hang on. The details of the class 2 EASA licence have yet to be revealed and I for one am waiting anxiously for them. I have an NPPL and fly on a GP's medical declaration form, therefore have a vested interest, and it might be worthwhile going this route. Especially if grandfather rights become involved in converting from an NPPL to an EASA licence.

Stan Evil
2nd Feb 2011, 11:59
The EASA LAPL will only require a GP declaration and so does not need a Class 2. However, there are differences in what the EASA declaration covers compared with the UK NPPL declaration.

BillieBob
2nd Feb 2011, 14:27
The EASA LAPL will only require a GP declarationHmmm, not quite. The currently proposed requirements for a LAPL medical certificate include a clinical examination and blood pressure, urine, vision and hearing tests. These may, it is true, be completed by a GP but amount to significantly more than a 'declaration'. However, what may happen to these proposed requirements in comitology is anyone's guess.

Bigbangman
2nd Feb 2011, 19:19
Well looks like uncertainty prevails on the NPPL medical requirements, amongst many other things!!!

As it's only just over 12 months away does anyone know when all will be revealed by the EASA, I'm inclined to hang fire until all the requirements are known before commiting time and money against a moving goal post.

This Uncertainty must be costing clubs etc along with the other price increases on fuel etc

Thanks for replies

peter272
2nd Feb 2011, 19:39
There is really no point in anticipating anything announced by EASA. History shows that things change right up to the wire - and sometimes after that. :ugh: