PDA

View Full Version : tablet pc PFD&ND

AussieNick
25th Jan 2011, 05:02
hi all,

i am looking for guidance on some software that will replicate the PFD and ND on a tablet PC. I've seen pics but can't remember where of a Samsung Q1 on a baron showing the PFD (AH with compass, ALT and ASI tapes) and the ND (HSI) on the bottem half.

Can't be more specific than that, hence why i've turned to pprune for help :O

Bobby Hart
1st Feb 2011, 13:22
Not sure I can help with the question, but I would be interested to know what tablet you plan to run it on... Have you found one with a good sunlight readable display?

IO540
1st Feb 2011, 13:36
I know of no tablet, with any operating system, which has a sunlight readable LCD and which costs much below £2k. There may be some coming soon; I think Motion have some new model out.

As regards building an "EFIS" product using a tablet, this has been done, using one of the off the shelf AHRS products, and "a bit of software" :) I saw that at various aviation shows. Pop over to Friedrichshafen (EDNY) in April and look in the homebuilts section.

Remember there are various issues with AHRS running alone. Unlike a self erecting mechanical gyro, it cannot tell up or down so if you interrupt power during flight, you lose it "for ever". The commercial AHRS products seem to fix this erection issue by introducing external info which suggests the plane is actually upright and level e.g. IAS constant and heading constant and altitude constant (fine so long as you are not flying upside down :) ), or using GPS data (GS constant, track constant, altitude constant). I believe Aspen use the former method (and your pitot/static system must be working) and Garmin use the latter method.

AussieNick
2nd Feb 2011, 03:23
IO540, i've currently got a Fujitsu ST4121 which does have a sunlight readable LCD. its not as crisp in doors as a standard LCD but is a great all rounder. I've since upgraded to a Samsung Q1 which is excellent and i've not had any issues in direct sunlight with it.

I've started using APIC Pro from Approach Systems. does everything I want it to, so thanks to all.

IO540
2nd Feb 2011, 06:44
By "sunlight readable" I meant the special polarised LCDs which really are sunlight readable.

See this (http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m74/peterh337/ls800-v-x70ex/)

There is a huge difference between a screen which is merely bright, and the other type.