PDA

View Full Version : AIS Notam web site

PUFL
24th Jan 2011, 21:17
Imagine routing from Airfield A to Airfield B and electing Airfield C as your diversion.

The Narrow Route Notam plot gives you all the info for A>B route and specific information about C. What about any Notams affecting route B>C?

Currently I have to do a separate plot to check the route Notams for B>C.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

ps. I know notamplotter, etc, show you this info visually, but what about the official AIS website without a secondary plot for B>C?

pps. I am also trying to avoid too much clutter by not electing whole FIRs in the plot.

24Carrot
24th Jan 2011, 21:29
Try making the "narrrow" route wide enough to include C?

Rod1
24th Jan 2011, 21:35
I do the 2nd plot and some times 3 or 4.

Rod1

madlandrover
24th Jan 2011, 21:52
Why not plot a route A-B-C? IE make the "main" route A-C, and stick B (via navaid, lat long, etc) into the route section?

dublinpilot
25th Jan 2011, 10:21
Why not plot a route A-B-C? IE make the "main" route A-C, and stick B (via navaid, lat long, etc) into the route section?

If you put C in as your destination (ie route A to C with B as a waypoint) then make sure you put B in as the alternative, so that you get airport only notams for B too.

Rod1
25th Jan 2011, 15:32
If you are flying a typical 200nm VFR task you will probably have several diversions planed. You also have to consider different points from which you might deviate from plan A. In practice you need to build up a picture of all the notams in quite a big irregular shaped area. In winter this is easy as there is not much going on, but in summer it can be a job taking quite some time if you plan to fly 3 200nm legs in a day. I do the job the night before and then check for updates only on the morning before leaving for the strip. 99.99% of the time there are no updates.

Rod1

dublinpilot
25th Jan 2011, 15:51
I do the job the night before and then check for updates only on the morning before leaving for the strip. 99.99% of the time there are no updates.

Hi Rod,

Be very careful about this. There is a bug with the AIS system that means that the briefing you get as an "update" covers a different period than the original briefing.

For example, if you put in briefing now for 12pm tomorrow to 4pm tomorrow, that is what you get. But if you go back in a little later and go into the handbook and select that briefing and look for an "update" you get additional notams that have appeared which are valid not for the original times of 12pm to 4pm tomorrow, but instead you get ones which are valid for the 12 hours immediately from the the point in time that you click "update".

While this would usually be ok if you updated it on the morning of departure, it might catch you out if you were makeing an early start and planned on a long day's flying.

NATS are aware of the bug, and have put in a fix request with EuroControl (who now manage the software) a few months ago, but they are still waiting on it to be fixed.

dp