PDA

View Full Version : Gyroscopic effect of engine fans

airstairs
22nd Oct 2001, 05:42
Curious to know if the gyroscopic effect of rotating components in engines has a major effect on heavy aircraft handling. How does the 777 handle at various engine rotational speeds....given the monster sized fans on them ?

747FOCAL
22nd Oct 2001, 19:16
It's all taken into account, but the gyroscopic load is not much in the big picture. The engines are also canted a bit to help as well.

PAXboy
22nd Oct 2001, 22:31
If I recall correctly, some of the early large props were set to rotate in opposite directions, to counteract the pull?

I would presume that designing a jet engine to be a mirror image and turn in the opposite direction would be an horrendous expense. No one wants to have only 'left hand' engines, when a right hand is needed!

With props, only the gears needed to be reversed?

Pielander
22nd Oct 2001, 23:15
Rolls engines turn clockwise as viewed from the front, while GE & Pratts turn anticlockwise, so you could have one of each, couldn't you?! :D

(Oh, hang on... that's a stupid idea! :p)

:) :) :)

PAXboy
23rd Oct 2001, 15:48
Pielander - that is a Pratt of an idea and I hope that your mind Rolls onto a better one soon. In General, we need more Electric thoughts. ;)

spannerhead
23rd Oct 2001, 19:56
The gyroscopic effect of the centre engine of the B727 is quite pronounced because it is horizontally and vertically in line with the fuselage. Whilst rigging the spoiler actuators, the left hand spoilers are rigged to actuate with less aileron input than the right hand spoilers. This is because it is inherently easier for the 727 to turn right due to the gyroscopic effect of the centre engine. This is most pronounced during a power off test flight when A and B spoilers are switched off and roll control is purely from the ailerons. I have had captains query this in the past during test flights saying that it requires more effort to turn left.
I get him to back No2 to prove it. :cool: