PDA

View Full Version : Night Trial lesson

heading 125
23rd Jan 2011, 17:20
Is there any reason why a trial lesson cannot be flown at night or part day part night

Mickey Kaye
23rd Jan 2011, 17:31
Do you know my old boss?

mrmum
23rd Jan 2011, 19:08
No, it's perfectly fine.:ok:

Why not try doing some in IMC as well, excellent experience for the punter, take-off into 200' overcast, then radar vectors to the ILS and land, they'll love it.:rolleyes:

Or even better, go in IMC at night, ticks lots of boxes that does.:E

Ty-Fry-Typhoon
23rd Jan 2011, 19:30
Not sure, I was wondering the same thing, LASORS C1.2 says:

Night Qualification
Training for a Night Qualification (Aeroplanes) may be
completed and included within the 45 hours total flight time
required for the JAR-FCL PPL(A), providing the minimum
requirements at (a) and (b) have been met.

Baring in mind Im reading the PDF version (I need to get the book!!!) I think the A & B is refering to:

Flying Training Requirements
An applicant for the JAR-FCL PPL(A) issued by the CAA
shall complete the required instruction in accordance with
the syllabus as set out in Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.125.
The training must be completed at an FTO approved by
the CAA or a Registered Facility that is registered with the
CAA. This must include:-
a. 25 hours* Dual Instruction on aeroplanes
b. 10 hours Supervised solo flight time on aeroplanes,
must include (i);

i. 5 hours Solo cross-country flight time, must
include (ii);
ii. One cross-country** flight of at least 270km
(150nm), during which full stop landings at
two different aerodromes different from the
aerodrome of departure shall be made as per
JAR-FCL 1.125.

Going by this you have to complete the above before being allowed onto the night part during your PPL which would be 35 hours into the course minimum hours.
If this is the case you wouldnt be able to do a trial lesson at night.
Although it could be that Im interpreting this completely wrong which wouldnt surprise me!

mrmum
23rd Jan 2011, 19:46
Seriously though, I think this legal. A "trial lesson" or "experience flight" is just exercise 3 of the PPL syllabus. It doesn't have any special legal standing or special rules or conditions attached to it.

As an example, could you go and teach a student stalling at 4-5000' on a clear, winter's afternoon, then descend and land in the dark? As long as the instructor has the "no night" restriction removed, the aircraft is suitably equipped and so is the airfield, then why not? Just because it's a trial lesson doesn't make things any different.

A trial lesson is meant to give a prospective student/customer an insight into what flying a light aircraft is about, so they can decide if they wish to learn. If someone expresses an interest in getting a PPL and a night qual., then it's perfectly legitimate to show them what night flying is like. Although I've never had anybody make that enquiry.;) It's similar to the case, can we do a cross-country land away on a trial lesson? Yes, if a prospective customer wants to learn so he can fly himself from Bournemouth to the Channel Islands or wherever regularly, then you can show them that process on a trial lesson.

The Flying Chicken
23rd Jan 2011, 20:10
Around sunset is the best for night trial lessons. Use the twilight to clearly demonstrate all that needs to be demonstrated, show them some sights, and return at night. 60 minutes at night, can get a little dull. Plus the sunsets are always a converter from the "not sure" to the "sign me up"!

Legally speaking, it is acceptable to do the night qualification in the 45 hours, intended for training requirements/licence issue.