PDA

View Full Version : jet go arounds

mstram
13th Jun 2001, 06:23
Was watching the planes land this afternoon at CYYZ. 'Bout 7 p.m. there were planes everywhere, 3 or 4 on final, one just departed, one just taking off. Eventually the 'spacing bubble' broke, and a jet had to do a go-round.

So I was wondering, when you have had to go-around, what kind of announcement do you make to the pax ?

What is the funniest thing that you have said or heard through the grapevine ?

What was the scariest / weirdest .. whatever.. go-round that you have had to do ?

Mike

FlapsOne
13th Jun 2001, 12:34
A go Around is a nuisance normally resulting from an error of judgement by ATC or the pilot regarding adequate separation between the aircraft on finals and aircraft/vehicles occupying/ crossing the active runway.

From the crew viewpoint it is not a difficult or dangerous manoevre - although the media would have everyone believe that it is almost life threatening!

For passengers it certanly can be alarming. As they are in sight of the ground they suddenly and without warning here the engines spool up to GA power and a marked pitch up attitude. It is not what they are expecting so they, quite naturally, often get worried that something serious is happening.

After completion of the GA manoevre I believe it is essential, in a quiet moment to make a PA to explain to the PAX what happened and what happens next. If nothing else, hearing the Captain's voice over the PA can be calming influence on the nervy passengers.

Iz
13th Jun 2001, 13:10
On a Royal Brunei flight into LHR, had to go around.

"Sorry ladies and gentlemen, but Air France was still on the runway. Those French did it again!"

M.Mouse
13th Jun 2001, 13:45
Heard on the tower frequency at LHR one night about 9 months ago from an airliner instructed to go - around by the tower. 'Roger, xxx going around......for the second time'.

Very, very unusual and very unfortunate. Not sure of the reasons but bad luck for the aircraft. I wonder what he said on the PA!

Regarding the question, I always try and tell the truth on the PA unless it might lead to alarm and worry for the passengers.

DownIn3Green
13th Jun 2001, 16:12
As a newly upgraded F/O on the 727 I was having a bad day, with the corresponding landings.

My sector, too fast, and float, float, float.
After finally getting it down and turning off at the end of the 11,500' runway, the Captain announced to the pax something along the line of "The tower has instructed us to taxi to the gate, but I don't know how long it's going to take, because I've never been this far down here before", or something like that.