PDA

View Full Version : Waving your letters...

Pilot DAR
21st Jan 2011, 22:47
Recently in another thread, we had a whole bunch of waving of things... ummm, yes..... letters! I read all kinds of letters posters were presenting as a demonstration of their flying qualification. Unfortunately many of the letters held little meaning to me. (What is an "SEP" anyway?).

So, would posters like to take an opportunity to wave their letters, and get it out into the open?

Here are the rules:

1. You can only present letters which you have actually earned (not what you're aiming for), with respect to aviation, and are validated by either government or employer issued written accreditation -a formal certificate or license of some kind, (not Walter Mitty letters, yes I'm in Canada, but I still know who he is! )

2. You have to explain what they stand for (that really is the purpose of this in the first place!)

In a show of good faith, I'll go first...

CPL(A) = Commercial pilot's license (Airplane), LP: EN = Language proficiency: English (well, I convinced them, you be the judge) Class: SMELS (yes, it really says that in my license!) = Single Multi Engine Land Sea, Types: (from back when they did that - they don't any more for anything slow under 12,500 pounds): C310, PAZT = Cessna 310 and Piper Aztec, and... Night (they don't abbreviate that!)

PPL(H) = Private pilot's license (Helicopter) Types: HU30, HU50 = Schweizer 300 and MD 500

DAR = Transport Canada "Design Approval Representative" (I can issue STC's with my scope)

PRM = Transport Canada "Person Responsible for Maintenance" (I'm eligible to run an approved maintenance or manufacturing organization).

This is your invitation to wave your letters, and let us know what they mean.....

kharmael
21st Jan 2011, 22:57
SEP = Single Engine Piston does it not? I'm pretty sure every PPL holder would know that.

Whirlygig
22nd Jan 2011, 00:12
When I wrote my name, I used to put WW after. It stands for Webb's Wonder 'cos I've got lettuce after my name.

As for waving .... well, I can only wave letters, nothing else. :E

Cheers

Whirls

flybymike
22nd Jan 2011, 00:34
SEP = Single Engine Piston does it not? I'm pretty sure every PPL holder would know that.

Not necessarily in Canada they wouldn't, and pre JAR in 2000, it did not exist in Europe either. We were just "Group A"

kharmael
22nd Jan 2011, 00:37
Guess I'm showing my age then! Or lack thereof! ;)

kevmusic
22nd Jan 2011, 01:00
As for waving .... well, I can only wave letters, nothing else. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

Classic, Whirls! :D

B2N2
22nd Jan 2011, 01:40
FAA CPL ME/SE IR CFI/CFII/MEI IGI/AGI NAFI MCFI (expired):ouch:

And that is from right to left..for the viewers that is...for me it's from left to right.....
http://rescueattempt.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/shah-in-uniform.jpg

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Jan 2011, 07:38
JAR-FCL CPL(SEP), FAA PPL (SEL), UK CAA NPPL(M)

(Joint Aviation Requirements - Flight Crew Licencing, Comercial Pilots Licence (Single Engine Piston), Federal Aviation Administratin - Private Pilots Licence (Single Engine Land), United Kingdom National Private Pilots Licence (Microlights) )

And within DAR's rules, earned society memberships:

FRAeS, MSETP, MSFTE.

(Fellow, Royal Aeronautical Society; Member, Society of Experimental Test Pilots, Member, Society of Flight Test Engineers.)

Types, for me, would fill the page, so I'll stick to the last year:

AA5a, TST, PA28RT-201, PA28RT-201T, S108-2, J5L, PA38-112, C182J, C150G, F150M, D228, BAe146-301. The last two, admittedly, doing a job other than pilot.

(Grumman AA5a Cheetah, Thruster TST Mk.1, Piper Arrow IV, Piper Turbo Arrow IV, Stinson Voyager, Auster, Tomahawk, C182, C150, Reims Cessna 150, Dornier 228, UK large Atmospheric Research Aircraft.)

G

(Genghis)

'India-Mike
22nd Jan 2011, 08:02
Genghis is being modest. He forgot PhD (Piled High and Deep):E

BackPacker
22nd Jan 2011, 08:07
JAA-PPL (SEP) only. And I hold a BAeA Proficiency Card at "standard" level, of which I'm mighty proud...:ok:

Are we supposed to list all the types and subtypes we fly, or have ever flown, within the SEP class too?

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Jan 2011, 09:55
Genghis is being modest. He forgot PhD (Piled High and Deep):E

It certainly was that, and yes was certainly about aviation. Arguably the toughest exam I've ever taken about flying machines - particularly thanks to a ruthless and inquisitorial examiner who missed absolutely nothing and most definitely wasn't taking prisoners. I still remember that evil grin on his face as he said "and I found a mistake in one of your equations". Now, what was his name again, I sort of blotted it out.... :}

G

patowalker
22nd Jan 2011, 10:05
( ... Dornier 228, UK large Atmospheric Research Aircraft.)

One of the guys who go out to play during volcanic eruptions?

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Jan 2011, 10:43
One of the guys who go out to play during volcanic eruptions?

I did a bit of that, yes. It was a busy couple of months.

G

jxk
22nd Jan 2011, 13:15
No letters can describe EASA:ooh:

J.A.F.O.
22nd Jan 2011, 13:31
J. A. F. O.

ShyTorque
22nd Jan 2011, 15:13
Waving your letters....

Not something I do, so I got some help:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/shytorque/wavinglettuce.jpg