PDA

View Full Version : future of NATS

cptdivz
21st Jan 2011, 17:42
hello there folks ,

I am new to the whole ATC thing but I have done quite a bit of reading into the job. I'm doing a coursework on ATC and I have a few questions.

What is the maximum you can earn as an air traffic controller in the UK?

What is the near future looking like for ATC in general/ controllers (post 2013- 2020 period)

Is NATS going to be privatised and how will that affect Future controllers pay/conditions?

Will the ATC be replaced by computers within the next 20 years realistically?

(All questions in regards to UK industry)

I have been looking all over the net for the answers but cannot find exactly what i'm looking for. On the plus side doing so much research into ATC has perhaps opened up a new career avenue for myself in the future. Hope everyone is well:ok:!

Regards.

Not Long Now
21st Jan 2011, 17:59
About £100,000 at the moment.
Appears to be aiming towards monitoring rather than controlling, though at least 10 years away realistically, if not a lot more.
Yes if management/government get their way, expect reduced terms/conditions/numbers, lower pay rises.
Not completely but much heavier reliance, which is apparently great as long as they NEVER EVER go wrong. We'll see.
Still a great job, but more despite the 'system' rather than because of it.

cptdivz
21st Jan 2011, 18:02
Cheers for the reply. Anyone else?

Also, how long would it take to reach 100k if you play your cards right. I'm sure its very different compared to airline pilots.

regards.

Not Long Now
21st Jan 2011, 18:55
From day 1 at college, approx 14 years I think

cptdivz
21st Jan 2011, 19:07
not long now,

thats not too bad!

any other comments people?:)

terrain safe
21st Jan 2011, 19:17
Regarding automation, en-route is more than likely, but in a tower environment probably never. Too easy to go wrong quickly. But in end everything will be automated.

cptdivz
21st Jan 2011, 20:02
terrain safe,

you say never in the tower yet you also say in the end everything will be automated(not trying to be cheeky ****). Which one is it? How long is the end? Are you also saying its not worth young people to become controllers as in 30 years time they will be made redundant by supercomputers?

regards.

Not Long Now
21st Jan 2011, 20:48
Plus towers already have electronic strips, well ahead of area

chevvron
21st Jan 2011, 21:59
NATS was privatised several years ago and it has lead to an operation based on commercial terms rather than on pure safety and to hell with the expense.

Ceannairceach
21st Jan 2011, 23:09
And don't even start me on the canteen prices :E

cptdivz
22nd Jan 2011, 10:33
cheers every1 for replying. keep the replies coming.

novation
23rd Jan 2011, 08:02
You say you're new to atc yet you joined prune 5 years ago. If you're doing a levels that made you about 13 when you joined if you're doing gcse's then about 11when you joined.

Stop posting Everyone!!!!!!!!

cptdivz
23rd Jan 2011, 17:14
novation,

What the hell are u talking about? yes i am 20, joined in 2006. joined when i was 16 and started reading years before that. What point are you trying to make? That I started reading up into the industry at a young age?

regards.

FYI im 2nd year uni now

atcsstudent
23rd Jan 2011, 21:30
Just curiosity, those 100k, before tax or after tax? And if it's after tax, what is the percentage you pay?
Regards.

sambatc
24th Jan 2011, 06:52
before tax I'm afraid.... 100k after tax would be rather nice!

spekesoftly
24th Jan 2011, 07:13
And if it's after tax, what is the percentage you pay?As you may know, UK income tax is calculated on a graduated scale, and subject to individual circumstances, but a large portion of that 100K will be taxed at 40%.

There are also deductions for pension and National Insurance.

Brightwhitelight
19th Feb 2011, 06:25
Just joined - looking for a new job - has the poor economy affected nats much?

LEGAL TENDER
19th Feb 2011, 13:01
From day 1 at college, approx 14 years I think

Problem is, in 14 years time, it will still be 100k. Which will be worth a lot less of 100k today ;)

Not Long Now
19th Feb 2011, 13:54
Not sure about that, it will hopefully go up a bit, but yes, overall, terms and conditions definitely on a downward slope.

FUNKYATCO
17th Mar 2011, 20:58
i wish people would stop being all mopey about the future.
yes nats is going to get very tough... but so what!

all valid atcos are an extremely valuable commodity, costing a huge amount to train. none of us are tied to nats in any way, other than through reliance on the standard of living we have chosen for ourselves.

we are reasonably well paid, but not enough. the atco is not given the right amount of respect, being referred to as a resource personally busts my nuts!

the union work very hard to try and get the best for the atco workforce, yet they are met with whinging over the pettiest of matters. everyone needs to take a step back and think what they can do to help shape their own futures.

atcos love to complain, no doubt.
but as the title states, its time we all manned up (or ladied up...of course), and let our union reps know exactly what is acceptable.

the labour we provide nats with is priceless, maybe that should be tested.
nats are not in a position where they can just go to a temp agency and ask for a few hundred controllers to keep things going if god forbid, atco labour was withdrawn.

atcos have too many times just rolled over, and usually for not a substantial financial gain. atcos whinge like hell over the slightest thing, and then when a real issue is voted on, we all vote yes ....WTF?

in reality we are a self-perpetuating workforce. we hold specific validations, which we then pass on through ojt training. without this ojt training the system falls apart. training is a voluntary process, no one is made to train, and certainly the reward for training is insulting. only the goodwill of the atco and the almost pity we feel towards trainees is what keeps the wheel turning.
trainees have an extremely tough time and deserve better....and no i am not a trainee (valid 5+years now).

so the future does not have to be as bad as portrayed, we just need to act now to secure a better future for all of us and our families!!
FUNKYATCO OUT!