PDA

View Full Version : BA Recruitrment, Worth trying again?

Fledgeling
21st Oct 2001, 01:37
In 98/99 I got through to the final stage of the BA Cadet recruitment process. Didn't get through to the medical, Was told i "was the right type of person to be a pilot" but was advised to go to Uni, and come back to them. Finishing my final year of Applied Psychology at Durham, and will be 22 when I finish next summer.

Are BA still recruiting and if so when should I re-apply? You helped me out loads when I went first time, and hopefully you can do it again! :cool:

[ 20 October 2001: Message edited by: Fledgeling ]

eeper
23rd Oct 2001, 04:10
Sorry Fledgeling,

All BA recruitment (pilot and otherwise) is now on hold. But don't give up. The situation will improve and, given that you are only 22, you may still be eligible to join the program when it restarts.

Keep your ear to the ground...

Fledgeling
28th Oct 2001, 20:57
Thanks for the reply, eepers, wasn't sure if there was anybody out there!

What to do now though? Is anyone recruiting at all, and if not should i sit tight and do a further year at uni to gain a masters, or is there a job which would be more beneficial to career in flying? :rolleyes:

eeper
30th Oct 2001, 06:41
Apparently British European are still recruiting (see thread in Wannabes), but I believe that you will have to stump up half the training costs (approx 30k) up front. Not for the faint hearted...

Try and keep your finger in as far aviation is concerned. Keep checking PPrune, read the odd issue of Flight etc. If you can afford it, then I would consider going for some flying lessons, maybe even a PPL. When recruitment starts again BA (and other airlines) will not have expected you to have sacrificed several years of your life on the altar of aviation, but they will be keen to see that flying is a long term goal of yours, not just an afternoon whim.

As to your Masters degree I wouldn't let your possible flying career influence your choice too much. Its only for a year and if recruitment restarts within the next year then I would be very surprised.

By the way, I think that when BA restarted recruitment in the late 90s they increased the upper age limit to allow some of those who would have otherwise missed the chance to apply. You may find that they do the same next time.