PDA

View Full Version : Frozen ATPL? explain!

spudskier
27th Jan 2002, 05:44
I'm a student pilot, I believe I'm right in saying an ATPL is an Airline Transport Pilot's License...?

What is a Frozen ATPL???

spudskier
27th Jan 2002, 09:52
Thanks for the info!! interesting

shon7
1st Feb 2002, 04:19
I thought "frozen ATPL" was coined since to get it you need 600 hours or so and after that you are eligible to be hired for an airline. When you start flying at the airline you need 500 hours or so to "unfreeze" it whereby it becomes an ATPL where you can be given command of the aircraft to land and take off from the right seat.

Anyone heard this version of "frozen ATPL?"

G.Khan
1st Feb 2002, 09:09
Unless it is a training flight/line check, with a qualified trainer in the right hand seat Command is always from the left hand seat.. .Flying can be from either seat.

twistedenginestarter
1st Feb 2002, 13:57
BIK

Whilst I see your point, you're not actually quite correct. A person with a CPL and who has passed the ATPL ground exams is not necessarily a Frozen ATPL. There is time limit of 7 years from the end of the initial period of the IR. After that the frozen ATPL can no longer melt into a real one.

Bloody long way down
1st Feb 2002, 15:46
Just a quick one! If you hold a "frozen ATPL" when or after how much experience would it become "un-frozen" to gain a full ATPL?. .I understood that it remains frozen until you reach 1500hrs of flying experience as a pilot irrespective of where/how these hours were accumulated!

Also is it not at the airlines discretion as to miniumum flight time required for employment or are there restrictions on this?

Cheers

Meeb
1st Feb 2002, 15:57
G.Khan, that is not correct, it depends what the ops manual says regarding who is in command of the aircraft in any given situation.

ILS27R
1st Feb 2002, 17:36
Yes I second that, its a rolling 7 years. What happens to a pilot who has allowed the IR to lapse for more than 7 years? Do they only have to resit the instrument parts of the ATPL theory?

No such thing as fATPL only a CPL/IR and theory credits.

shon7
4th Feb 2002, 06:47
Thanks for the links BIK

They helped a lot.

G.Khan
4th Feb 2002, 09:18
MEEB I have worked for three majors who could roster two captains to fly together on a normal flight, not a training flight. In each case the Commander is in the LHS and the guy in the RHS is cleared for F/O's duties only and not allowed handling in other than an emergency. That was the ruling of the relevant aviation authority and promulgated in the ops manual by the company.. .Please can you explain your statement? Cheers.GK.