PDA

View Full Version : JAA Licence Validity

Steve Larkins
11th Jun 2001, 18:12
I understand that the requirements for keeping your JAA PPL valid is that within the second year of having your licence, you are required to fly at least 12 hours PIC with at least 12 T/O and Landings. Can these hours T/O and Landings be carried out within the first month of the second year or do they have to be spread over the duration of 12 Months?

Also with respect to the validity of an IMC and a Multi Rating, Does anybody know the JAA requirements of these?

Many Thanks to those who have helped with my previous questions, your replys haven't gone un-noticed.

I also noticed on an earlier thread that you are entitled for an IMC rating if you hold an FAA IR, can you get an FAA IR on a JAA PPL or do you need to hold a FAA licence?

Many thanks

Steve

[This message has been edited by Steve Larkins (edited 11 June 2001).]

11th Jun 2001, 19:04
The law says 12h and 12 T/O within the last 12 months and nothing about the distribution of the hours or T/Os. Naturally it's better if you fly more than 12hrs well distributed during the year than flying 12 hrs in one month. Don't understand the laws harder than they are!

Is an IMC rating an IR? If yes, MEP an IR are valid for one year according to JAA.

I don't know much about the FAA but I think now you need an FAA-license to make the FAA-IR. But could be that I'm wrong.

[This message has been edited by 380 (edited 11 June 2001).]

bookworm
11th Jun 2001, 22:03
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">I understand that the requirements for keeping your JAA PPL valid is that within the second year of having your licence, you are required to fly at least 12 hours PIC with at least 12 T/O and Landings. Can these hours T/O and Landings be carried out within the first month of the second year or do they have to be spread over the duration of 12 Months?</font>

They don't have to be spread out for revalidation purposes. But bear in mind the rule on three t/o and landings in the last 90 days to carry passengers.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Also with respect to the validity of an IMC and a Multi Rating, Does anybody know the JAA requirements of these?</font>

The IMC rating is valid for 25 months and requires a proficiency check to revalidate. (It's not a JAA rating so it hasn't changed.) The Multi Engine Piston class rating is valid for 12 months and requires a proficiency check to revalidate.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">I also noticed on an earlier thread that you are entitled for an IMC rating if you hold an FAA IR, can you get an FAA IR on a JAA PPL or do you need to hold a FAA licence?</font>

You should be able to obtain a basic FAA PPL by taking your JAA PPL to a FSDO. If you hold a JAA IR, you can get FAA IR privileges on the basis of your JAA IR by passing the FAA's Instrument Foreign Pilot ground exam. No check ride is required (unless things have changed very recently).