PDA

View Full Version : Logging flying hours?

Sgt367
19th Jan 2011, 22:22
Hiya,

I've been asked to write down the hours in the following format:

"Total Flying PIC/dual eg: 10/20 - 5/3 "

I reckon the 10/20 is the time solo/dual, but haven't a clue what the 5/3 means! Does anybody know? I'd be grateful if anyone could shed some light on this.

Thanks guys,

Sgt367

SNS3Guppy
20th Jan 2011, 04:31
Perhaps you'd be best off asking the person who told you to write your flight time down that way.

Big Pistons Forever
20th Jan 2011, 04:37
day/night :confused:

BackPacker
20th Jan 2011, 08:18
Landings?

If you were to get a proper logbook then the explanation of those numbers is (surprise, surprise) right at the top of the column. Makes it easier, not just for you but also for the poor CAA chap who needs to check your logbook before he's allowed to issue you your license.

I Love Flying
20th Jan 2011, 14:21
Are you applying for a scholarship from the Air League?

Sgt367
20th Jan 2011, 19:11
Thanks for replying Guppy, Pistons, and BackPacker. Since its not a well-known or conventional format , I don't suppose its very important, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything glaringly obvious.

I love flying, that's right! I am going for a scholarship, were you awarded one?? Any tips about the application process?

Cheers,

Sgt367

:ok:

Monocock
20th Jan 2011, 20:53
Syllabus exercise number?

Whopity
22nd Jan 2011, 19:45
Having seen 100s of log books over the years, the format means absolutely nothing. Flying should be logged in accordance with the ANO Art 79 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP393.pdf)

A log book is a personal document and ultimately you fill it in how you want. Certain information is required for licence issue but the above would not convey any useful information for that purpose. If anyone tells you to do something, the first question is WHY?

The Flying Chicken
23rd Jan 2011, 07:56
Agree with Whopity. It's personal, but it does need to include certain CAA specifications or you'll find you get it back when you send it off for licence issue.
Ask your instructor what it means, I'd be interested to find out too.