PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 172 near Bath or Bristol

PRJ
19th Jan 2011, 13:33
Could I have advice from West Country folk please...

I visit Bath 8 or 9 times each year and am generally free on Saturday mornings. I would like to rent a Cessna 172 for bimbling around.

I'm surprised how few airfields and flying clubs there are around the Bath area. Filton is closed on Saturdays, the Wessex Club at Bristol Airport have got a 172 (but it's tech this weekend).

I've got 110 hours and mixed grass and tarmac. I'm a member of a group at North Weald in Essex.

I don't even mind paying for lessons, there's always plenty to learn.

Anyone any ideas.

matspart3
20th Jan 2011, 23:07
Staverton Flying School at Gloucester have one Home (http://www.stavertonflyingschool.co.uk/)
They've just moved to a new building but the contact details are the same.

The airport's 3 minutes from Junction 11 of the M5 and very well equipped for GA.

englishal
21st Jan 2011, 06:28
You could fly from Henstridge which is about 45 mins south of Bath and if you would consider flying an AA5 (which is a joy to fly) I know of one for about 44 quid per hour dry owned by a EASA145 firm. There is a possibility of a PA28 too but AFAIK no C172s. EGHS is a great place, hard runway etc. There is also a friendly CRI who will train you / check you out for no charge.

jollyrog
21st Jan 2011, 07:14
Garston Farm is even closer. Flew there last Summer, lovely place. Quite a bit hangared there, it might be worth giving Mike (owner) a call to see what's available.
Garston Farm Airstrip Information (http://www.garstonfarm.flyer.co.uk/)

PRJ
21st Jan 2011, 07:37
Henstridge looks a possibility, it's an hour from where I start. (Combe Down). Flying different 'planes is fun but I'm only in Bath 7 or 8 weekends a year and I'd struggle to stay current on type ... so my preference is mainly 172's.

Garston Farm is a good possibility, I've not flown in there so far because of the 100 hour P1 requirement ... but I'll hit that soon so I might give them a call. Anyone know of any 172 owners / groups there ?

Even better though would be Wadswick ... does anyone know of any 'plane owners based there ?

Again, thanks for replying.

avonflyer
21st Jan 2011, 10:32
The Flying Club Kemble has a 182 if thats any help...

breakscrew
21st Jan 2011, 13:45
PRJ,
You are quite right, we have a dearth of flying locations in the West Country.
If anyone would like to set one up around Taunton they would get my vote.

PRJ
23rd Jan 2011, 09:24
The club was very friendly and the instructor very capable and easy to get along with. So thank you Wessex.

Bristol ATC were very confident as they mixed Easyjets, me, Ryanairs and some other GA traffic.

Generally a happy experience.

Finding a 172 in the area is still proving difficult (well impossible actually !). The one at Wessex is out of hours and no plan to bring it back into service.

The PA28 140 that I flew was a fun experience ... especially the handbrake under the dashboard (no toe brakes), the trim handle in the roof, and the big manual flap lever on the floor.

Strange, where I live on the other side of the Country, Earles Colne, Andrewsfield, North Weald, Southend, Stapleford are all within 30 mins driving and all have plenty of aircraft available with or without instructor.

So ... still forlornly looking for a 172 within 45 mins of Bath for occasional rental.

Ringwood
23rd Jan 2011, 17:37
Try Costwold Flying School at Kemble