PDA

View Full Version : Portable GPS - where do you stick yours?

FlyingFinancier
19th Jan 2011, 12:22
I've recently bought a portable GPS unit (SkyDemon, but I imagine this issue applies to other similar units) mainly for use in a Super Cub or a Jungmann. I really like the unit and the software but I'm finding it difficult to locate a suitable area where I can use the suction mount effectively - it won't stick on wobbly sheets or dash / coaming and I don't want to to screw the mount into anything.

I was wondering if there is any point in thinking about sticking the unit to me - not in a cyborg way, but rather with some sort of clear pocket with velcro straps like joggers use for MP3 players. If such a thing existed one would presumably have it positioned on the inside of the forearm (like the Aeroist wrist board), but I guess it might then block the unit from GPS signal or the movement of one's arm might disrupt it?

If anyone has any ideas or practical experience with this I'd be glad of advice... Thanks!

FF

Wibblemonster
19th Jan 2011, 20:39
Sorry, I can't give you a solution but I'd be really interested in your opinion of the Sky demon, is it the GPS unit they sell? I like the idea of a wrist 'clamp' - what about clamping to the yoke or is your aircraft got a stick? Excuse my ignorance.

172driver
19th Jan 2011, 21:10
You could stick it on your thigh (like a kneeboard) in a plastic cover and attach a remote antenna (which is a good idea anyway). I vaguely recall having seen such a cover/GPS holder at one of the usual pilot shops. Just rummage around the various websites for a bit, and ye shall find.

Rod1
19th Jan 2011, 21:27
Gat a “ram” mount. You bolt the base to a suitable spot and can remove the arm and gps to mount in another aircraft. I have one in my MCR and it works very well for my backup GPS.

Rod1

ShyTorque
19th Jan 2011, 22:15
I've previously wanted to tell a few folk on this forum where they could stick their GPS. :E

But in your case, I've no wish nor reason to cause offence. :ok:

stiknruda
20th Jan 2011, 00:05
I use a P-clip, an aviation grade aluminium bracket to fasten mine to a cross tube/longernon on either the fuse or the canopy frame. Ocasionally necessary to remotely mount the antennae with a length of 50 Ohm co-ax and 2 BNC connectors.

Most have either a 1/4-20UNC thread or 6 or 8 or 10-32 thread........

CanAmdelta1
20th Jan 2011, 01:38
If you are looking for a mount for a Piper Super Cub try one of these.
Not sure what suction mount you are trying, but the one below is the only one I found dependable on glass or panel.

PanaVise Products, Inc. (http://www.panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1&id1=28&startat=1&--woSECTIONSdatarq=28&--SECTIONSword=ww)

I use this product and am extremely pleased with it.
I have no ties with them other than a retail customer.

regards

FlyingFinancier
20th Jan 2011, 07:55
Thanks everyone (even ShyTorque) for the advice so far, some good ideas, much appreciated. The reason for not wanting to screw anything to a surface is that I hire the SuperCub and am a part-owner of the Jungmann so was looking for a simple solution that dismantles very easily and doesn't affect other users. I'll check out all the suggestions.

Wibblemonster - the Cub and the Jungmann are both stick rather than yoke-flown. I'm nothing to do with SkyDemon (other than being a customer). Yes, I'm using the unit they now supply and I think it's great, but even better is the software itself and the level of customer support. I raised this issue with them a couple of days ago and they have just come back to me with a possible solution involving a wrist-band and velcro. I'll try it out soon and report back here if this looks feasible, the obvious challenges being obstruction, security and signal.

FF

Lister Noble
20th Jan 2011, 09:11
I fly a Cub and use a large bulldog clip fixed to the back of the GPS,and clipped to a cockpit fuselage tube .
The GPS is a simple Garmin e-trex with a cycle handlebar mount which I bolted to the bulldog clip.
Yours is a larger unit but this would probably work for you.
Lister:)

Stik, how are things going?

BackPacker
20th Jan 2011, 09:47
I fly mostly Robins (DR400 and R2160) and I have a Garmin eTrex (outdoor) GPS with a suction cup/swivel arm. I typically mount this in the center of the canopy, about a feet forward of the canopy lock. This area of the canopy is flat enough for the suction cup to hold and it's not in the way of anything.

The eTrex has a battery endurance of 10 hours or so (NiMH rechargeable) so I don't bother with any sort of cabling. Otherwise you've got to be very careful when opening the (forward sliding) canopy.

Occasionally I fly PA28s as well, and I found that the canopy just forward of the DV window is also flat enough for the suction cup. And I have, on occasion, simply put it on the seat next to me. In the R2160, reception was good enough there. Just remember to stow it away somewhere secure in turbulence or before landing.

stiknruda
20th Jan 2011, 11:26
Hi Lister - I'm fine, thanks. Saw you and D dining on Sat in The Bell - I popped in for a swift one and only noticed you as I exited.

Beer soon?

A

Lister Noble
20th Jan 2011, 11:32
Tonight,6.00 pm for a quick pint?

Skylark58
20th Jan 2011, 21:08
I fly a group operated Cub and use an Airbox Aware GPS. I use a RAM mount with the holder for the GPS at one end and the other end has a G clamp which fixes on to one of the down tubes in front of the windscreen. Easily fitted and removed. PM me for the RAM part numbers.

Lister Noble
20th Jan 2011, 21:12
I was there at 1800,had a good chat with some of the locals.
Catch up some time soon.

stiknruda
20th Jan 2011, 22:21
Lister - sorry chum, just saw your post!

Tomorrow, Fri 18H00 for a swift one and a catch up?

IO540
21st Jan 2011, 07:19
I don't think there is a perfect answer to the original Q.

A small unit like a Garmin 496 will fit nicely in the middle of the yoke, but the map is too small to fly with as one's only GPS, IMHO.

A big unit (696-sized, etc) is much better for real flying but is too big to be yoke-mounted. One can "informally" panel mount them if one has a panel with next to nothing on it, but most people will end up with them lying on their knees.

FlyingFinancier
21st Jan 2011, 08:24
To IO540's point, I think these units deal with slightly different requirements. I fly a Jungmann, a SuperCub and sometimes an Extra300 - these are not touring aircraft where one might aspire to an Airbus level of glass, but very rudimentary (though lovely) aircraft. The Jungmann is frequently operated non-radio, has only got a little battery to power basic instruments and there are no R-NAV instruments in any of them. Most of the time my flights are very local and not always straight and level so my navigation mainly involves doing some compare and contrast with the outside, a map, compass and watch, so I only want the GPS to be a genuine backup when bimbling. I agree that if you are doing more sophisticated or substantial Navex you might want a bigger unit and I guess that raises another order of issues about where to stick it...

Cheers

FF

Lister Noble
21st Jan 2011, 08:50
OK 1800 hrs,I'm cooking so must not be too long.
Lister

SkyHawk-N
22nd Jan 2011, 12:16
A big unit (696-sized, etc) is much better for real flying but is too big to be yoke-mounted.

My 696 is absolutely fine mounted on the yoke.

Max_UK
22nd Jan 2011, 13:47
For a simple "thigh" mount for any of the 4.3" satnavs (& this includes the SkyDemon or Aware unit), try:

Garmin Nuvi Case for 200W/250W/260W/610/660/670/710/770 on eBay (end time 23-Jan-11 02:10:25 GMT) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Garmin-Nuvi-Case-200W-250W-260W-610-660-670-710-770-/360104267464?pt=UK_CE_GPS_Accessories_Software_ET&hash=item53d7e30ec8)

Price is certainly reasonable?

Simply put a suitable length of elastic strap with velcro ends, through the belt loop on the back & wear it "On the thigh". Maybe have an old unused Kneepad?

Works a treat even in the RVs.

Regards,

Max