PDA

View Full Version : Light Aircraft Association

JCBeadle
17th Jan 2011, 20:45
Hi Everyone!

Firstly, apologies if this subject has been covered before or if it is in the wrong section, I have searched for this subject in pprune but have not found anything that covers this subject in great detail, and thought it would be beneficial for all who are not familiar with this organisation and how they could become involved.

I have been told that after completing your PPL and Night Rating, the best place to go for cheaper hour building is buying into a group at the LAA. For all those who are not familiar with this organisation they are a non-profit vintage flying club (put very simply.)

I would like to know what the LAA are all about. What they do, and how it works. And if anyone is a member or have any experiences of this organisation? From reading bits about fly ins into farm strips sounds incredibly fun! But what does it all mean? And without straying off the subject of "Professional Pilot Training" how does it work for hour building students?

Responses, criticism's and feedback negative or positive all welcome, I won't bite.

Happy Flying :ok:

NigelOnDraft
17th Jan 2011, 21:33
LAA Website (http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/)

...the best place to go for cheaper hour building is buying into a group at the LAAI'd phrase it ...the best place to go for cheaper hour building is buying into a group owning an LAA 'Permit to Fly' Aircraft. The LAA administers certain categories of 'Permit To Fly' aircraft e.g. homebuilts, where you can do your own maintenance etc. If you buy a share in a suitable LAA regulated aircraft, yes, hour building can be cheap. But you need to find a group that will sell you a share, that you think works for you, and do your share of the tasks e.g. maintenance / admin.

...they are a non-profit vintage flying clubClub is stretching it :ooh: No clubhouse / bar / aircraft / instructors etc.

I would think study of their website will answer most of your questions...

NoD

Maoraigh1
17th Jan 2011, 21:43
"For all those who are not familiar with this organisation they are a non-profit vintage flying club (put very simply.)"
No. Among other things they are delegated by EASA per the CAA with responsibility for regulating most Permit to Fly aircraft. They are not just vintage - they cover modern homebuild designs, such as the RV series.
If you buy a share in a group operating a P to F aircraft under the LAA, you must be an LAA member. They provide engineering support.
If you buy a share in an EASA C of A aircraft, (such as a private A380, if you get a multi engine and type rating) you don't need to join.
LAA Struts (branches) hold meetings, organise fly-ins, etc. Google their website.

ak7274
17th Jan 2011, 21:47
They are in effect a non profit Association. They don't just administer vintage types. Anything from a full 4 seat touring kit plane down to a single seat vw powered strip hopper. All VFR only

I suggest looking at the LAA website before going any further.

stiknruda
17th Jan 2011, 21:53
Welcome to the Light Aircraft Association (http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk)

There are certain "minor" restrictions but I have operated complex aircraft under a permit and have been all over Europe, competed in BAeA competitions and displayed at major airshows in permit machines. i have scratch built from plans and rebuilt a/c under the LAA system.

I love the LAA or PFA as I still inadvertently refer to it!

There should be an LAA Strut (local branch) near you.

Stik