PDA

View Full Version : Why such a small presence by UK low-fare airlines in Eastern Europe?

Natterjack
10th Jun 2001, 22:27
I've noticed that the only destination served in Eastern Europe is Prague. I am somewhat perplexed by this, as the region is becoming increasingly tourist-orientated and already hosts many cities of business importance, particularly Budapest, Moscow and Warsaw. Flights to such places on traditional, 'normal-fare' airlines, for example BA, MA, LOT, are reasonably expensive, frequently well above £150 return (especially Moscow).

I flew LHR-SOF (Sofia) last August costing £250. Both the outbound and inbound flight were full; the latter was so full in fact that a larger capacity aircraft had to be sourced.

In view of this, why is there such a lack of presence by UK low-fare airlines in Eastern Europe?

[This message has been edited by Natterjack (edited 10 June 2001).]

Sharjah Night Shift
10th Jun 2001, 23:49
It could be that the countries are not members of the European Union and therefore no Open Skies agreement.

The GO flight from Stansted to Prague is matched by CSA Czec Airlines on the route.

Best Western
11th Jun 2001, 12:44
Right and wrong

Only PRG has double diapproval pricing in its market, which means that an airline needs both CAA's to object to fare pricing.

Because the UK CAA does not object to fares charged.. Basically Go can charge what it wants to.

Another problem is that handling in East Europe is run by the flag carrier, so they make the prices stupidly high to force the carrier to look elsewhere. PRG is different, being the most westernized of East European countries.

But as the market liberalizes, they will look further east. My bet is Warsaw and Krakow.

Joe Curry
11th Jun 2001, 17:35
>>My bet is Warsaw and Krakow.<<

If FR decide to fly to Warsaw the actuall
airport will be in Krakow! :rolleyes:

Doors to Automatic
11th Jun 2001, 21:23
More like Kharkov!

Joe Curry
12th Jun 2001, 18:01
I stand corrected! :)