PDA

View Full Version : backtrack

alpergokgoz
17th Jan 2011, 15:13
can a controller issue a clearance for a traffic such as line up and wait for a chosen runway while landed traffic is still backtrackingon runway to vacate?thanks

Crazy Voyager
17th Jan 2011, 15:22
I've heard and seen it being done so I would say yes.

renard
17th Jan 2011, 15:25
Come to London City Airport.

When on easterlies, once the landing aircraft has passed the holding point A we are cleared to line up and wait.

You slowly line up and wait while the landed aircraft does a 180 and backtracks to vacate at D.

Landing rate is reduced on easterlies compared to westerlies because of this. If line up was only allowed after the aircraft had vacated, movement rates would be very low.

Spitoon
17th Jan 2011, 15:29
Yes - no problem at all.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
17th Jan 2011, 16:23
Several things can happen on a live runway with traffic lined up - e.g. aircraft crossing under power or being towed, safety services crossing, runway inspection, etc.

ATC Watcher
17th Jan 2011, 17:29
line up and wait

This particular phraseology was made after Teneriffe ( 1977) . clear & without ambiguity . Everything is on the "wait".

Always follow what the controller says:ok:

windypops
17th Jan 2011, 19:30
Yep. Happens all the time at Southampton as there are no taxiways at the ends of either runway. Clearance is to backtrack, line up and wait. Doesn't happen under LVP's in SOU though.

supraspinatus
17th Jan 2011, 19:36
If the obstruction on the RWY is hard to see (eg a vehicle in the far end), I usually say: "ABC123 Line up RWY XX, and wait. Vehicle on the RWY".