PDA

View Full Version : Is it all worth it?

Ryan5252
17th Jan 2011, 13:15
Having always been interested in aviation there was never any doubt that this was the industry I wanted to end up in. I earned my PPL in June of last year and have logged the best part of 50 hours post PPL, so I am nearing 100hrs total time.

I decided that after I got the PPL I would continue to fly as often as I could to gauge my own interest and to see whether or not I got bored. So far, I am still as excited about the whole thing as I was the first day I went for a lesson. So I am confident that I will continue to be so for a long number of years to come. Flying for the airlines used to be my ideal job, but the more I think about it the less it appeals. The idea of spending so much hard earned cash to front a deposit to get myself into debt for the next 10 years (assuming I actually get a flying job) is entirely ludicrious to me. That coupled with the ever changing airline industry where time is money, pilots are seemingly interchangeable and budget airlines are the way forward has made me realise that this is not the job for me and I have no interest in it.

What attracts me is the idea of flying light aircraft hands on and passing the skill on to new comers. My career goal would be to eventually run my own school training PPL students on my own spamcan. I would make no money. I might break even. This does not bother me, my wife is fortunate enough to be making enough money for both of us so I can play with the idea of running my own little business.

Am I wrong to think that it would be 'fun' to get up early in the morning and drag the plane out of the hangar and leave it sitting shinning in the sun in preperation for a busy days flying. This is probably an idealisitc view on my prospects, when in actual fact I may find myself dragging a plane out into the cold in prepartion for a day of either lessons scrubbed in favour of ground school due to the crappy weather, or when the weather holds im in for a day of students turning up late, if at all.

Thats my plan anyway. It may be a touch optimistic but I am a realist. I understand I will constantly be struggling to keep the aircraft airworthy, facing constant maintaince and fuel bills. There will undoubtably be countless hours spent going round in circles in the circuit. There will be the battle between myself and the airport management, not to mention the general bickering and politics which seem common place to GA airports.

I would be interested to hear from any instructors out there who do this everyday. What are your experiences? What would you say to people like me looking to get in to the instructing game? Are there any aspects of job satisfaction elements that don't wear away after the first couple of times?

Is it all worth it?

Lister Noble
17th Jan 2011, 13:37
Ryan,wouldn't you be better off posting this in the Instructor slot?:)

hotcloud
17th Jan 2011, 13:50
I have been instructing for 15 years now, initially part time but now full time. It’s all down to attitude, if flying is in your blood and you’re even tempered, those qualities will be essential for a good flying instructor. I have never got bored of instructing, it’s a lifestyle I love, however I am no romantic, there is no way you can make a decent living in the UK as a PPL instructor, you need some other source of income. Luckily I receive a pension therefore I am able to make ends meet, you seem fortunate as your wife seems to be supportive.

With regard to operating a flying school, it is extremely hard in this environment, I have seen the bills that have to be paid by the owner of our flying school, it is quite frightening. With the downturn, the fixed costs become a major part of the expenses, insurance, hangar costs, maintenance etc. Unfortunately I don’t see an upturn in the near future for GA (Group A), there may be some business opportunities if you were to consider micro lights. Anyway I wish you well, I certainly recommend instructing, it’s a lifestyle I would not change for the world.

Fuji Abound
17th Jan 2011, 14:03
From what I have seen over the years becoming a freelance instructor / examiner is the way to go. Instructors are two a penny; add some different skills - like being an examiner, multi ratings, etc and you stand out from the crowd. You are far better off using someone elses aircraft - be it because they are the owner or by renting from existing owners for ab intio, multi or instrument training. Of course it takes time to gain the qualifications; I appreciate you need to start some where.

Jan Olieslagers
17th Jan 2011, 14:42
If you really do not wish to make a profit - a mindset that is becoming all too rare, and merits every respect, and certainly has mine! - you could consider setting up a club rather than a business. However I recommend you do make some kind of charge anyway. Apart from covering your expenses, the main reason for this is that most people show more respect and gratitude for a low cost service than for a free service. I never understood this, but have experienced it quite often.

John Miller
18th Jan 2011, 17:12
The other issue is that there are companies and professional individuals out there who need to earn a living instructing. Doing stuff for free seriously undermines their livelihood. :ouch:

fernytickles
18th Jan 2011, 17:28
Ryan,

When I saw your thread title, I groaned inwardly - yet another grumble about the cost and whether it will all be worth in it the end. Instead I was pleasantly surprised - someone who is interested in giving something back into the aviation knowledge pool, who recognises that there is more than one route to job satisfaction in aviation.

From my perspective, as someone who instructed for 300+/- hours and definitely does not have the teaching instinct, I think natural-born instructors are a breed apart, and are a real asset to aviation on the whole. If you have the inclination to teach, you are already 50% ahead of a lot of folks who are using instructing, like I did, as a means to and end.

Don't forget there's more than one teaching job. You could always look into instructing for Simuflite or FlightSafety as well. Then teach in your own plane in your spare time?