PDA

View Full Version : Cessna single with canards? wossat?

Jumbo Jockey
10th Jun 2001, 18:18
Saturday afternoon in the garden trimming the hedge (most unusual for me actually to be off on the weekend anyway but that's another story) and I look up, as usual, at the sound of an aeroplane passing over (where I live we get a lot of Gatwick and Farnborough arrivals and stacks of local area stuff from Shoreham and Goodwood - it takes me a long time to get anything done in my garden...).

Its wings and tailplane had pretty much the classic shape you expect on a Cessna single, and the engine note sounded throaty enough to be at least a 182 if not one of the Stationairs. On either side of the engine cowling, however, sprouted what looked like a pair of stubby canard surfaces, maybe a couple of feet each in span.

The Anorak who lurks, barely-suppressed like some dark alter-ego beneath my overtly-civilized exterior wants to know: Anybody know anything about it - STOL mod? Cruise efficiency?

kabz
11th Jun 2001, 03:23
Link here, includes mention of high lift canard kit.

http://www.aopa.org/pilot/features/skylane0012.html

Speedbird48
11th Jun 2001, 04:03
It is known as a Wren conversion of a Cessna 182.
The canards are fitted each side of the cowling. The wing is also modified with a STOL kit.

ausflyer
11th Jun 2001, 13:00
Greetings,
Last sighted a Cessna Wren here in Australia about 5 years ago. Also known to frequent Papua New Guinea.
Cheers from Downunder.

------------------

little red train
11th Jun 2001, 15:16
whoopy! I'm not mad! I'm sure I saw one about a year ago over cranfield, it was a lot noiser than most the other aircraft their so I looked up and; oh! a canard cessena? I tried to tell my flat mate and was instantly branded as loco, pheww :)