PDA

View Full Version : Certificate aviation programs/courses in the GTA?

YYZ_spotter
16th Jan 2011, 19:57
Hi everyone,

I'm a Mechanical Engineering grad ('08) with professional experience in a major flight sim company. I became one of the negative statistics in this recession, and am currently looking for a job in aviation in the Greater Toronto Area.

I have an unhealthy interest in aviation (as many of us do ;) ) and would like to translate that into a professional qualification to add to my experience, something that can possibly be done in under a year.

I am planning to get a PPL, but cannot afford it right now. The ultimate dream is to become a pilot, but I'm realistic as to the methods, costs, pilot shortage hype etc. so that's on the back-burner for now. Despite all the doom and gloom, I love the aviation industry, from the airlines to the aerospace companies to the MROs. I just need something practical to add to my qualifications right now.

I do not want to go back to school for a Masters degree...thinking more along the lines of some kind of certificate program like aviation management, flight operations, NDT inspection. I would love to get into aviation safety and certification as well, don't know where to even begin for that, Transport Canada doesn't seem to have many openings there for entry level people.

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

+TSRA
19th Jan 2011, 17:11
Not sure of any programs within the GTA, but IATA have a couple courses in aviation safety, certification, auditing - that sort of thing. They occasionally have a course or two up the road in Montreal.

Training (http://www.iata.org/training/Pages/index.aspx)

Have fun!

YYZ_spotter
22nd Jan 2011, 16:13
Thanks TSRA, that's almost exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. More suggestions welcome as well, including 'hands-on' maintenance training.

xchox
13th Feb 2011, 16:24
Hey Spotter, You also might be interested in Flight Dispatch. It is only $3000 and 2 week course.

Flight Dispatch - DCE (http://www.atkinson.yorku.ca/~dce/programs/ExamPrep/Flight/Flight1.php)