PDA

View Full Version : The Ryan Mach 2 Taxi -- Why?

Self Loading Freight
18th Oct 2001, 16:50
Ok, I've got to know. Why does RyanAir treat each taxiing opportunity as some sort of Formula 1 race? Every time, those poor old 737s get slapped down onto the deck and before we've had a chance to retrieve our dentures the airport lights blue-shift as O'Nigel up front floors the accelerator.

Is it company practice? Is it some sort of machismo thing? Will Ryan landings get televised as some new sport? Not that I mind -- it's quite exciting, really -- but it is distinctively different.

R

Crusty Ol Cap'n
19th Oct 2001, 00:29
Lack of discipline?

rudderless
19th Oct 2001, 16:29
on very long finals, transferred to tower frequency. ryanair calls for taxi. tower knows he is in a hurry,"will you be ready immediate?". affirm. we are getting near and observe a 737 coming out of hyperspace towards the holding point. mmmmmm this is going to be interesting???????????..."cleared immediate take off"............."errrrrrrr cant. no cabin secure report" . just in case the cabin is secure........ next time i'll go around at 10 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

qwertyuiop
19th Oct 2001, 20:12
Its not just the taxi speeds. I cant recall how many times I have floated down the runway watching the flaps still traveling. Last week we ended up at the far end of 28 at Dublin increasing the normal taxying distance by about 1 mile. I have often been reminded of the old saying" less haste, more speed".

DownIn3Green
19th Oct 2001, 22:51
Don't know about Ryanair, but SWA pilots are paid by the leg, therefore they tend to taxi fast...

fionan
20th Oct 2001, 01:49
Surely even SWA pilots have only 2 legs?? :p ;) ;) ;)