PDA

View Full Version : NPPL and silver C

thing
16th Jan 2011, 16:35
Does anyone know if the gliding silver C still counts towards an NPPL for SEA? Or better still, point me a to a website where it's all explained? Thanks in advance.

Tupperware Pilot
16th Jan 2011, 16:39
NPPL Home Page (http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence.co.uk/)

Sliver does not count, but a GP licence does (bronze plus X/C endorsement!)

Did an SLMG/SSEP this summer in 13 hours. Spent most of the 13 hours leaning to navigate properly!

NPPL website says tells you all the details.

Humaround
16th Jan 2011, 17:04
Although the minimum hours required to qualify for the NPPL is greatly reduced if you hold a Silver C, don't assume that you will be ready for the Skills test in that number of hours.

When I got to 25 hours and felt nowhere near ready (despite 130+ gliding hours +Silver C) i switched to PPL, and got it at just over the 45 hours.

7of9
16th Jan 2011, 17:20
I got my JAR/FCL/PPL in 37 hours with 10 hours credit due to me having 150 hours Gliding with full silver qualification.

Trev

ak7274
16th Jan 2011, 17:21
I did my NPPL a few years ago and having contacted the BGA I sent them my Glider Pilot certificate which included Silver C and they sent me a Glider Pilots License, which then allowed me to complete the NPPL in some 22 hours,the minimum being 13 hours.

As an aside I recommend doing the 150 Nautical mile QXC as the 100 needed for the NPPL is neither use nor ornament for any thing else.(Not ICAO compliant) If you want to fly in France on an NPPL you need the 150nm flight. You also need it if you upgrade to a JAA PPL.

Hope this helps.

Tupperware Pilot
16th Jan 2011, 17:36
"As an aside I recommend doing the 150 Nautical mile QXC as the 100 needed for the NPPL is neither use nor ornament for any thing else...."

You don't need to do a QXC if you have a GPL....you do need to do a NST.

10 hours is the minimum of which 1 has to be sole. But as pointed out above you will probably need more, I took 13 as i added the SSEP on the end. Doing all the flying in a SLMG as its cheaper, just added the type ratting at the end.

ak7274
16th Jan 2011, 17:59
I stand corrected

thing
16th Jan 2011, 18:14
Thanks guys, much appreciated.