PDA

View Full Version : Renting plane (and instructor) near Edinburgh for JAR-PPL holder

ralfvd
16th Jan 2011, 16:25
Hi there,

I am enjoying a short holiday break in a couple of weeks near Edinburgh. And as a JAR-PPL holder, always looking for some flying time when I am abroad.

I found the Edinburgh Flying Club, but their prices might be a bit steep. I am looking for a 4 seater (preferably a C172, since I am most familiar with that type) and an instructor for one or 2 hours, since I am not familiar with the area and local rules.

Does anybody has good pointer where I should go?

Thanks!

'India-Mike
16th Jan 2011, 17:29
Leading Edge at Cumbernauld have a 172, although it might be operating from Inverness or Perth. But I have heard it on the radio operating out of Cumbernauld.

I think Tayside might have access to a 172 at Fife but I might be wrong.

Fife and Cumbernauld are close to Edinburgh and the landing fees are, quite literally, a fraction of those at Edinburgh.

The Leading Edge 172 is like an old, warm glove. Familiar, despite being the N model

flystrathclyde is your man on these forums for Leading Edge. He might be along soon

Enjoy Scotland!

Charlie Zulu
16th Jan 2011, 20:05
Tayside Aviation do indeed have a C172 at Fife Airport, their mainstray of training aircraft is the C152.

Not sure of the rates as I don't fly club aircraft (I'm in a group at Fife) but I'm sure they're the same as those on the main Tayside Aviation website.

Lovely part of the the country and not far from Edinburgh if you wish to get a zone transit for a look-see over Edinburgh itself.

ninja-lewis
16th Jan 2011, 22:22
Tayside usually have 2 C172s and 2 C152s at Fife. About a 45 minute drive from Edinburgh but public transport isn't brilliant.

ralfvd
24th Jan 2011, 18:41
Thanks for the advice. I've booked at the Edinburgh flying club ; the price difference with Tayside isn't that much (apparently flying in Scotland is even more expensive than in the lowlands of Netherlands and Belgium).

The Edinburgh people were very responsive and helpful in planning my flight, even when chances were low I would rent with them. Tayside didn't even respond to my enquiries.

Thanks again for the advice and weather permitting I'll be flying in Scotland in a few days. Another experience in the sky!

buggies
25th Jan 2011, 13:36
Welcome to Scotland - yes the Avgas prices are sky high - but the scenery just about makes up for it. Hope you enjoy your flight(s).

140KIAS
26th Jan 2011, 20:48
Dissapointed to hear about your experience with Tayside. I learned to fly with them and used to keep my plane at Fife.

I find it incredible that in that current economic climate they can't even be bothered to respond to potential business.

However be careful when comparing Fife and Edinburgh rates. Fife is a small airfield in uncontrolled airspace. Edinburgh is a busy international airport in class D. You could spend half your time and money taxying or holding.

Fife rates will include landing charges - not so sure about Edinburgh.

However no matter what you do, I hope you get a chance to see the incredible scenery that Scotland has to offer.

Unusual Attitude
27th Jan 2011, 08:57
Still hard to beat Perth for GA in Scotland, 3 runways, very little commercial traffic and no landing fees if your based there or renting.

I'm sure Scottish Aero Club can sort you out, as a previous poster says flying out of EDI you might find yourself with a lot of holding time.
ABZ still has the record for me a few years ago, 35mins holding on the ground on the way out and 25mins orbiting on the way back!

Regards UA

NorthSouth
28th Jan 2011, 08:39
140KIAS:be careful when comparing Fife and Edinburgh rates. Fife is a small airfield in uncontrolled airspace. Edinburgh is a busy international airport in class D. You could spend half your time and money taxying or holdingYou probably didn't mean that literally because you must know it's rubbish. Yes, at busy times you can be held but more than ten minutes is very unusual. You also need to be careful, when comparing airfields, that you do include all factors. So when considering Fife you need to factor in possible delays (including having to stop and shut down after you've started taxi-ing, as well as orbiting away from the airfield) to accommodate the parachuting.

All airfields have their pluses and minuses, and all the airfields in Central Scotland are great places to fly and should be supported.

NS

Slopey
28th Jan 2011, 08:59
Just out of interest, how are landing fees for club based aircraft at EDI?

We dropped in there last year due to the weather (Dundee shut, Abz below minima), an iirc the landing fee was around £80. (Handling through Signature pushed the bill up to well over £120 - the most reasonable bit was the parking charge!).