PDA

View Full Version : Rudders

LD7
15th Jan 2011, 23:33
I ran into a first officer who told me he was taught that the pilot monitoring should assist the pilot flying on the rudders . Is this something that is common . I have never run into this concept before and would like to understand its origin.

hetfield
15th Jan 2011, 23:57
http://www.clcboats.com/images/photos/products/Feathercraft-Double-Rudder-.jpg

H E L P !

LD7
16th Jan 2011, 00:26
I should tell you that I am talking about the PNF putting a fair amount of force on the rudders of a 747

bubbers44
16th Jan 2011, 00:29
Simple, he is a moron, no pilot monitors rudder pedals. A long time ago in the 70's we had Lear Jets that would let captains seats occasionally slide to the back and not let the captain reach the rudders so the copilot had to keep it straight. Other than that I don't think so. I had a captain get upset on a 737 once when I was an FO and he noticaed my feet on the rudders and got upset. I reminded him of the Lear we both flew in and he shut up.

hetfield
16th Jan 2011, 00:38
- I have control
- You have control
- Who has control?

bubbers44
16th Jan 2011, 00:39
How can two pilots fly the same approach using separate control inputs. I don't think it is possible. I don't think anybody flies like that. Maybe instructor pilots have to do it some times as have I but not a crew.

SNS3Guppy
16th Jan 2011, 02:58
I should tell you that I am talking about the PNF putting a fair amount of force on the rudders of a 747

The 747 doesn't require much rudder input at all, except for engine-out situations, and on those occasions it's easily trimmed out. Using the rudders most other times will cause more problems that it solves; it's a really big rudder (two rudders, actually) and doesn't require much deflection at all to effect big changes.

I disagree that rudders aren't necessary in turbojet aircraft, including Lears. However, they don't find nearly as much application in normal flight operations as one might in a light airplane like a piston single or twin.

GlueBall
16th Jan 2011, 11:54
The dual rudders on the B747 are hydraulic, not even a lady pilot would need "assistance" in pushing the pedals.

Mungo Man
16th Jan 2011, 13:48
How can two pilots fly the same approach using separate control inputs.

I had a simulator detail once where the ailerons jammed so we split them with the disconnect handle and found that only the FOs side worked the ailerons. Then the elevators jammed, so we split them too and found that they were jammed for the FO, so we had to fly an approach with the FO controlling roll and heading and then Captain controlling pitch and thrust. Worked a treat and was easier than you'd think as during the approach the workload was effectively half that of normal!

Sharing rudder use would be trickier though methinks!

Exaviator
16th Jan 2011, 19:26
I can not think of any condition on a B-747 that would require another set of feet on the rudders. A jammed stabiliser, yes, an extra pair of hands around the control column to help with the increase loads during approach is most welcome. :ok: