PDA

View Full Version : Streak Shadow vs PA28 for PPL training

wallacengrommet
14th Jan 2011, 16:22
Hello
I have just started to take flying lessons in a PA28 (near Oakham) and Im loving it – the problem is I have realised that I will probably never be able to afford to buy one (unless I win the lottery) anyway the idea of a share does not appeal as I would like to be able to fly away for long weekends. So my question is....would it be a good idea to buy a SSEA aircraft such as a Streak Shadow to keep the costs down while building my hours and then when I have my license I will have a cheap to run SSEA to have my long weekend trips in but I could also hire a PA28 for the odd special occasion ?

Also Will hours flown in a Streak Shadow (SSEA) keep a JAR- PPL current ?

TIA
W&G

bern444
14th Jan 2011, 16:44
Join a Club. Owning an aeroplane is an expensive business - one that you might want to try much later (unless you're a banker of course)

B

Genghis the Engineer
14th Jan 2011, 17:01
On the whole, yes.

In fact you could buy the Streak now, do your PPL in it, then hour build in it. The specific issue with that aeroplane is that it does need to be stored under cover or in a hangar (it will derig into a trailer), and of-course you need to find an instructor prepared to teach you in it.

There are plenty of threads on here if you search on the running costs of such aeroplanes, and at-least a couple on the characteristics of a Shadow.

Regarding shares and long weekends - I've owned many shares (and still do) and have rarely had trouble taking the aeroplane away for a week at a time. One share I currently own, the majority owner leases it to a flying school so that is the only one I've ever had where I can't take it away for a weekend - their main revenue earning period (on the other hand, Monday to Friday is no problem at-all). Just check the booking rules on the individual syndicate.

On the other hand, to finish your PPL on a syndicate (as opposed to sole owned) aeroplane, it'll need a public CofA and agreement from the rest of the syndicate - the combination, whilst not unique, is rare. (That said, there are certainly a couple of syndicates at Cranfield, and I think at-least one at Booker, where that'd be possible).

For a cheap, sole-owned, finish-PPL-hourbuild-fun aeroplane, I'd also look at the Rans S6, Rans S7, or for a pure hourbuilder: Evans VP1, Taylor Monoplane, Fred. Also from where you are, go and have a look at the notice boards around White Waltham clubhouse.

G

blueandwhite
14th Jan 2011, 19:41
Don't dismiss the idea of a share for long weekends away. That will be posible in most shares. Just becarefull what you sign up to or pay maoney for. I've been in a couple of great groups, as well as one shocker that took years to get my money out of.

I currently have my own steed but would be more than happy to share again, if I could find someone I could get on with who wanted a share. Its not hard to find someone to share with, its hard to find someone you want to share with. Its all about reward, less cost, in exchange for less flexibility and some comitment to the group.

wallacengrommet
14th Jan 2011, 20:42
Thanks for all the great advice, my thinking is that if Im going to spend around £7K on training I may as well plough the money into my own AC and have much cheaper solo costs - thus in a small way even part funding the AC.
The reason behind the Streak was because of the great visibility, Cheaper running costs, cheaper storage (trailer), and as it is still SSEA I can retain the license to fly the Piper.
I think I will start by asking my instructor if he would be happy to train me in a streak - if so I will give one a test fly down at The Shadow Centre.
Who knows I may even find a reliable person to go halves at my local airfield !

Again thankyou very much .
W&G

FlyingKiwi_73
16th Jan 2011, 03:48
Am i missing something, surely thats a microlight as in under 544KG MTOW?

Can you get a proper PPL in the UK with that surely its an NPPL?
Sorry all the microligthers will flame me for the 'Proper' comment.

Go ahead... i had to pass more exams :-):}

manix-cs
16th Jan 2011, 08:25
Am i missing something, surely thats a microlight as in under 544KG MTOW?

Nope :)

It could be microlight as in equal to or under 450kg MAUW (or 472.5kg if fitted with a ballistic parachute), but equally could be registered as a land plane.

FleetFlyer
16th Jan 2011, 08:39
I can thoroughly recommend the guy that runs the Shadow Centre at Old Sarum. I forget his name but he's a thoroughly nice guy and won't mess you around. He checked me out for my aircraft and I'll certainly be back to him for my bienniel check. I wish I had done my NPPL with him in the first place.

You may well find that after you get your licence, a lot of the people who said they would 'love to come flying' with you are suddenly busy when it comes to getting aloft in a light aircraft. Almost nobody needs more than two seats. A Shadow is a great start but there is a lot of other stuff out there now that is better and as cheap if you buy into a group.

Genghis the Engineer
16th Jan 2011, 11:23
I can thoroughly recommend the guy that runs the Shadow Centre at Old Sarum. I forget his name but he's a thoroughly nice guy and won't mess you around. He checked me out for my aircraft and I'll certainly be back to him for my bienniel check. I wish I had done my NPPL with him in the first place.

Her name is Fiona Luckhurst, but I'm guessing you flew with her partner Raymond Proost. And yes, they're both excellent instructors.

Kiwi - the definition of a microlight varies between countries, but in most of Europe it's 2-seaters up to 450kg, or single seaters up to 300kg, with a stall speed not exceeding 35 knots, with a couple of extra weight allowances for seaplanes and aircraft fitted with ballistic parachutes.

G

FlyingKiwi_73
16th Jan 2011, 18:36
Kiwi - the definition of a microlight varies between countries, but in most of Europe it's 2-seaters up to 450kg, or single seaters up to 300kg

Thanks Genghis, i wonder why our regs are heavier and faster? (min stall speed 45 knots) could it be all the pies we eat?

And i totally echo what FleetFlyer has to say about dwindling supply of 'flying friends' i have a subset of friends who i know i will never coax into a cockpit short of being comatose. I guess its just not for everyone, how odd!

jxc
16th Jan 2011, 21:41
I owned a streak earlier this year had it for 2 months and sold was something that liked the idea of it but the reality was not the same very noisy
I did think it would be great to get rid of the engine and put a fuel tank there and strap on a small jet engine on top of the scaffold pole

View was awesome though
1st landing scared the s@@t out of me just as the nose drops from the flare you think you are goiing to lose your feet and legs