PDA

View Full Version : Airfields to visit in CA?

Right Stuff
9th Jun 2001, 20:27
Will be going over to the US to hours build on the west coast in August and wondered if anyone had some recommendations regarding airfields? We're looking for friendly FBO's, fantastic scenery etc. The guide books aren't much help in this regard!!!

Grandad Flyer
9th Jun 2001, 23:19
Big Bear is great. Right up on a mountain, around 7000 feet I think, surrounded by woods and a lake. Will probably need a high altitude check out if you are not used to those. Catalina is another one, again usually requires a check out though. Other places to go include Las Vegas, McCarran Intl, Santa Barbara for lunch, Austin in Texas has the best FBO I've been to (stay for free).
St George in Utah is on a big plateau and is an interesting circuit, you can go see London Bridge on the way to Sedona, where the scenery is spectacular. Loads to see around the Grand Canyon too. And then there's Monument Valley where alot of the old westerns were filmed. I could go on. There are loads of good airfields. When you get out there get hold of the orange A5 size airfields guide and just ask your instructor, everyone knows the good places to go, depends on what you want.
I've got more info, flight times, etc. if you want it.

Dan Winterland
10th Jun 2001, 01:43
Try flying up to Death Valley, stop at Furnace Creek, probably the lowest airport at -211'. Then to Vegas, McCarran is a good night stopping place being right on the Vegas strip. Fly up the Grand Canyon (height restrictions may apply!), land at West Grand Canyon or Grand Canyon National to take in the view from the ground. Fly out to Monument Valley and Sedona and then round trip it back. Should take about three days / 15-20 hrs flying depending on aircraft type and it will be a great trip. Enjoy!

D02X
10th Jun 2001, 03:52
I can highly recommend the San Francisco Bay area at night! Its always a pleasure to fly into Oakland or San Francisco. And as previously posted: Las Vegas! Beautiful during the night. There are so many lights that even if you are flying IMC, you will notice you are flying overhead Las Vegas. The clouds are so much brighter.
As far as the FBO's are concerned, I have had some good experience with the Palm Springs' FBO.

JJflyer
10th Jun 2001, 13:54
Try Monterey Bay (KMRY)for nice beaches and seaside life or Columbia for mountains and for an old mining town experience.
Grand Canyon National Park, now there is a busy spot. There are corridors you can fly through SFAR airspace and have some spectacular views of the Canyon.If yoy are not SFAR trained and not flying a tour altitude restriction is 14000ft outside the corridors. Field elevation @ GCN is around 7000ft.

In LAS I prefer to use the Excecutive jet terminal( Eagle terminal ) instead of Signature. Eagle is closer to hotels and Strip ( Las Vegas Blwd ). There are some really nice hotels there and prices vary with bookings ranging from the low of 35 USD a night upto 350 a night.

San Fransisco is a good spot to stop. Spend a lot of time there. Have a look at the NIGHT STOP forum. You should be able to find plenty of info for stops there aswell.

Have a very nice trip. I am off for a while and I am thinking about renting an airplane in Florida and then flying to West coast and back, just for fun and freshen some memories.

JJ

Iain
10th Jun 2001, 16:06
I would only try Death Valley in the winter. Big Bear is definately a great little airport to fly into. I also enjoy flying to Catilina Island it has a great approach and fantastic food. It does cost about $7 to land there, which is quite surprising as the runway needs a little work, this time you can really blame your landing on the asphault! You also might like to go to Vegas for an afternoon. It is only 2 and a bit hours flight from the LA basin. If you like warbirds I would go to Chino, they have some great aircraft. If you want to see a YF-23 there is one on display at Hawthorne. I would also suggest Santa Barbara, the scenery is very pretty! Santa Monica is also a nice airport and it is only a short taxi drive from the beach (where Bay Watch was filmed, and yes there are some hotties there :))!
Iain

Right Stuff
10th Jun 2001, 16:55
Thanks guys, this is absolutely fantastic - just what I'm looking for. Grandad Flyer, i'll be emailing you shortly, otherwise keep 'em coming!

newswatcher
11th Jun 2001, 19:43
If you are feeling in "anorak" mode, the air museum at Palm Springs is worth a look. I was there on the recent Memorial Day, when a B25 did a flypast. Museum is on North Side of airport.

http://www.air-museum.org/

inverted flatspin
12th Jun 2001, 23:40
Try SNA and LGB, John Wayne (orange co) and Long beach respectivley they are some of the busiest General aviation airports in the world also have quite a mix of airline traffic. For experience of large airport operations you could go to LAX. It is worth a visit.

Joaquín
13th Jun 2001, 04:05
Apart from the fantasic places already mentioned, try Oceano (next to San Luis Obispo). Literally 2 minutes walk from the beach, with a grass area with services for camping next to the runway.

Enjoy it!!!!!

Mr. Perplexed
13th Jun 2001, 04:24
Newswatcher wrote:

If you are feeling in "anorak" mode, the air museum at Palm Springs is worth a look. I was there on the recent Memorial Day, when a B25 did a flypast. Museum is on North Side of airport.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of air museums, I've noticed a pretty good one developing along Interstate 215 in the Moreno Valley at the former March AFB. If you're into skydiving, one of the better known locales for that is at the nearby Perris Valley Airport. Thumbs up for Catalina also. If you do go there, allow enough time to check out Avalon. Don't just hang out at the airport.

HugMonster
13th Jun 2001, 16:26
Also try Columbia, in the Sierra Nevadas - an old 49er gold rush town, very little changed since the last century. Clint Eastwood filmed part of "Pale Rider" there. Verry picturesque - walk down the main street and you expect Gary Cooper to step out of a side street any minute!

If Reid-Hillview (outskirts of San Jose) is still open, drop in to the Flying Country Club there. If Leanne is still running it, give her a kiss from me! Very friendly folks, and the food in the airport restaurant is very good.

Sequoia is also very pretty! (Particularly if you like trees!) They filmed part of "Always" there.

willbav8r
14th Jun 2001, 00:15
I'll vouch for Columbia also - great area to fly into.

Howsabout Half Moon Bay? Great seafood restaurant with excellent Fish and Chips.

If you fancy a round of golf, Livermore has a good course right next to the airfield.

Blue Skies