PDA

View Full Version : Starting PPL!!

Guyduke
14th Jan 2011, 10:53
Hi guys,

Im planning on to start my PPL this year, I have searched on the web and came across several flying schools, and it all seems to be charging somewhat the same amount 6500 £'s, I live in leicester and ready to travel up to 20 mile for training, or maybe move near the school!! could anyone let me know any cheaper way to start my PPL in Leicester or even any other area??

Cheers.

jez d
14th Jan 2011, 11:16
Hello Guyduke

If you are after a standard European PPL then £6,500 is too little. With increases in VAT and fuel prices I would say that a PPL is obtainable for not much less than £7,500 currently. Additionally, it is highly unlikely you will complete the licence in the minimum hours and will need to do some extra flying. Unless you are a natural sky-god, breaks during training due to other commitments or the vagaries of the British weather will mean you will have to undergo brush-up training at stages during your course. Realistically I would budget an additional 25-50% on top on the minimum hours course fees.

A cheaper alternative is to go down the microlight route. These aircraft are cheaper to run, maintain etc, and this is reflected in the hourly rate.

And from next year a new basic PPL licence is being introduced across Europe called the Light Aircraft Pilot Licence (LAPL). The priveleges of the licence are more restrictive than for the full blown European PPL, but if bimbling round the countryside under visual flight rules (i.e. not out of sight of ground and not relying completely on instruments, which requires a full PPL with added on ratings) then this might be more appropriate for you.

I suggest you pop along to Leicestershire Aero Club and ask them to take you through the options in greater detail.

Regards, jez

jez d
14th Jan 2011, 11:25
One other thing. Do not pay up front for your training. Pay as you train, even if this means sacrificing discount for block payments. European flight training is suffering somewhat currently, due to the aforementioned rises in VAT and fuel prices and also due to changes in regulation about to come into force. Unfortunately, I foresee tough times ahead for PPL schools and not all will make it through this period of increased hardship.

Kolossi
14th Jan 2011, 11:44
Have a quick search on this forum for the many other threads on this topic "ppl near xxxxxxxx", "cheap ppl" etc.

Quick summary tips though:

The 1st rule of ppl is don't pay in advance
The 2nd rule of ppl is don't pay in advance
(ie pay per hour at each lesson)
Investigate getting any necessary medical check done as early as possible, ideally before you start flying (allow approx £100-£150 for a ppl medical) - you may not be ABLE to get a full ppl if you have any medical issue, best to know before you've paid for lots of lessons
Don't ask people on here for a "cheap" ppl, you may get flamed for irresponsibly putting cost before safety (I don't agree with that sentiment by the way, no harm in trying to save money where you safely can)
Go visit any flying school and talk to them
Do ask questions on here, there's lots of help available, but be ready to ignore any insulting and downright rude responses you might get, just ignore them and move on

Whatever you decide to do, happy flying :ok:

BobD
14th Jan 2011, 11:53
Take jez d's advice, and visit Leicestershire Aero Club. I called in there for lunch a few weeks ago (my daughter lives close by), and to see the general layout, and althought I didn't speak much to others there, the general atmosphere seemed very friendly. You might also want to call in to Retford(Gamston), as its not that far away. I am currently taking a few lessons there with Skytrain (another friendly bunch), before going Stateside to get my PPL.

Guyduke
14th Jan 2011, 17:29
JEZ D, bib d, and kolossi thank you guys for the feedback, ill pop into leicestershire aero club and see what they offer, and the other places mentioned by you guys. lets hope all goes well and also i came across a place in buckinham called caledonian pilot training, have you guys heard about it???

ps: would you guys know as to why some of my post just go missing??

letpmar
14th Jan 2011, 17:55
I did my PPL near Leicester and did my flight test from there. it always struck me as a friendly active club. The instructors seemed good and not just there looking for hours.

pete

Winhern
14th Jan 2011, 18:47
I can recommend Sywell, which is 20 nm as the plane flys from Leicester aerodrome. Brooklands is a friendly flying club that allows you to do internet booking several weeks in advance so you can always get the instructor you want. There is also a micolight school there which would be a cheaper option. Sywell is an excellent GA airfield - won the Best GA Airport award in 2009.

jez d
15th Jan 2011, 08:10
caledonian pilot training

No flight training undertaken there. CAPT is a much lauded outfit that provides ground school for rotary and fixed-wing students going down the commerical route, but nothing at PPL level.

Regards, jez

Lister Noble
15th Jan 2011, 09:39
Some quick thoughts.
Availabilty and quality of aircraft and instructors.
Number of days you can fly per week ,some including where I learned do weekends or four days only etc.
You can be looking at up to £165 per hour.
You need books,best to buy a complete set ,up to date editions
You need equipment,you can use club headset but I prefered to have my own.
You need to feel at ease with where you are learning,for me that was more important than saving a few hundred pounds.
Also wants to be local so you can be there if weather conditions change.
You will find that most schools will not do more than two lessons a day because of student overload.
Good luck.
Lister:)

Bad_Wolf
15th Jan 2011, 15:32
Guyduke - I have sent you a private message