PDA

View Full Version : b737ng start valve open

A340AM
13th Jan 2011, 14:04
Hey Guys

are there any memory items for start valve open light after starter cutout

frogone
13th Jan 2011, 14:25
There are no memory items for 'START VALVE OPEN' according to my Boeing generic QRH.

Avenger
13th Jan 2011, 19:33
Correct, there are now no memory items for this, however.... when the starter time limit is about to be exceeded, the start switch should be moved to "off" . Boeing QRH assumes normal limitations are observed.
It used to be a memory item, now we wait for the valve light open to flash and monitor the timing of the starter motor,

cosmo kramer
14th Jan 2011, 00:28
There are no memory items, since there is plenty of time (2 mins) to consult the QRH.

However, that being said the first action is to manually move the start switch to off. It is in my opinion good airmanship to have enough system knowledge that if any automatic system fails (in this case the solenoid holding the start switch didn't release it automatically for some reason) you are able to operate it manually.

In this case it will save you the bother of getting the QRH out 99% of the time, since it's quite common that the solenoid fails to release the start switch. If the light goes out when you move the start switch to off, you no longer need to do the checklist.

Kind of like a Center tank Fuel Pump Low pressure light. You don't get the QRH out if you know you just ran the tank dry.

cosmo kramer
14th Jan 2011, 00:37
By the way:
"are there any memory items for...
start valve open light after starter cutout"

If the start valve is open the starter did not cut out.

Never assume from the switch position if the starter did infact cut out or not. Duct pressure and Start valve open light are what determines if the starter is operating or not.

piston broke again
14th Jan 2011, 00:54
Had it happen the other day...Up to 60% N2 and still hadn't cutout. Was about to flick starter off, all 3 yellow lights flashed momentarily and then it flicked itself off. Sticky solenoid or valve I guess.

ReverseFlight
14th Jan 2011, 13:20
Up to 60% N2 and still hadn't cutout.
Taking 56% N2 as a standard cutout limit, how much higher than that would you start notifying the engineers ?

Avenger
14th Jan 2011, 14:14
Always run the QRH after any non normal situation, not to do so is just reckless. 2 mins is not that long a time. This scenario is run in the sim on almost every type conversion and almost all mess it up.

cosmo kramer
14th Jan 2011, 23:00
Avenger, in principle I agree. But would you also advocate to run the Fuel Low Pump Pressure checklist when the center tank runs dry? I think not?

No starter cut out (due to starter switch not going to off) I likewise wouldn't call a non normal situation. If the starter doesn't cut out with the switch in off (automatic or manually moved to off), then the situation is non normal and the checklist appropriate.

1) 56%, no starter cut out
2) Start switch off
3) a) Starter cut out -> hurrah
b) No starter cut out -> Do the no starter cut out checklist

You can't really say if you have starter cut out or not as long as the switch is still on.

CL65Driver1234
14th Jan 2011, 23:11
Always look it up to save your @#@#@, now you know your safe;)

Oakape
15th Jan 2011, 15:14
No starter cut out (due to starter switch not going to off) I likewise wouldn't call a non normal situation. If the starter doesn't cut out with the switch in off (automatic or manually moved to off), then the situation is non normal and the checklist appropriate.

Code:
1) 56%, no starter cut out2) Start switch off3) a) Starter cut out -> hurrah b) No starter cut out -> Do the no starter cut out checklist
You can't really say if you have starter cut out or not as long as the switch is still on.

cosmo kramer is correct.

I'm going off memory here, so I could have a few details wrong. But if I remember rightly, the normal procedures state that at 56% N1, you verify the start switch moves to off & if it doesn't, you turn it to off manually. Read the start procedure in the 'Normal Procedures' section.

Until the start switch has been moved to off, either automatically or manually, the start valve hasn't been commanded to close, so the light should be on. If the valve doesn't close once it is commanded to, the light will stay on & it then becomes a disagree light. You now have a non-normal situation & you run the non-normal checklist.

So if the solenoid sticks & the switch doesn't automatically move to off, it is a normal procedure to manually turn it to off & you shouldn't be getting into the non-normal procedures just yet. You will find that on most occasions, the valve will close as soon as it has been commanded to do so.

Avenger
15th Jan 2011, 15:35
You are correct in the normal proceedures, however, we are talking about " start valve open" , after starter cutout, (either auto or manual) , this is definately a non-normal checklist, not to be confused with start switch does not move to off..