PDA

View Full Version : BAE146/AvroRJ Tail Air Brake

PhilippeADN
13th Jan 2011, 08:26
Hi,

Something is turning in my head since a long time about the 146/RJ ...
On airports with many 146 on the apron, some of them have the tail air brake deploy and others not ...
Why ? Is it due to the hydraulic system ? Or something with the use of APU ?

Well perhaps today will I go to the bed less stupid ;)

Thanks

Philippe

Lord Spandex Masher
13th Jan 2011, 09:10
The airbrake is operated hydraulically, to open and close. There is a small latch which is supposed to hold it shut on the ground as the hydraulic pressure gradually disipates but this occasionally fails resulting in the two sections gradually flopping apart.

PhilippeADN
13th Jan 2011, 19:36
Thanks very much for your answer ... everything is clear now ... it was just that simple :)

Geardownandlocked
14th Jan 2011, 18:40
At my carrier I believe there was no such thing as a latch to hold them together. As far as I know, as the hydraulic pressure was disappearing after a while, the wind had free play with the airbrake. That's why sometimes it would open, on windy days, and else just stay decently closed, hiding the intimate parts of this very nice lady. (hey...for each his own ;-D)

FF

seifly
15th Jan 2011, 06:15
we used to operate these birds in India and kept the tail open to help ventilate the APU.:cool:

717tech
15th Jan 2011, 09:53
There is a plastic "socket" on one of the doors, the other door has a small "probe". The idea is the probe locks into the socket. The spring on the socket is very weak (and the socket wears). Doesnt take long before the doors unlock once hydraulic pressure drops.