PDA

View Full Version : JAA appr. caravan rating

siggi-Iceland
7th Jun 2001, 21:53
I need to get a caravan rating in europe that is JAA approved, or is conducted in a JAA country. Can anyone assist me on this one? Thanks a millon in advance.

siggi

Spoonbill
7th Jun 2001, 22:19
I'll drop you an email. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

------------------
It wasn't me.

siggi-Iceland
7th Jun 2001, 23:14
thanks I wilco. Keep them coming.

siggi

Foxxy
7th Jun 2001, 23:40
Spoonbill,

Do you know what the latest is with regard to SEIFR / Caravans etc for the UK - or does anyone know if the updates or NfPRC is posted on the net? Thank you!

AMEX
8th Jun 2001, 03:36
For whoever is looking at a Caravan rating to operate in Europe.
Our company operates a G reg 208B. Although it is possible to get a rating from Finistair in NW France, it isn't sufficient. The Training provided is mostly line training and they haven't got any sim to practice the drills. Couple of months ago we interviewed a pilot who had just obtained is rating there but from our point of view (High safety level when operating Single Pilot IFR) and our insurance, this wasn't acceptable, therefore requiring a week course at FlightSafety in Wichita, Ks.
As far as the CAA is concerned, they are quite happy to endorse the course as a perfectly valid one.
However the CAA will only be satisfied if
-All their requirements are met by the training (And flightsafety does that).
-And once back in the UK, a Flight Test is conducted by an approved 208 examiner. (not many around but enough for the number of Caravan in the UK).
My advice before anyone undertake such course is to confirm it will be accepted by the insurance (often setting the requirements for new pilots). To be a little bit more accurate, I would say the above applies to lowish time pilots. Lots of PT6 time on other things may make a difference, which I am sure the company will make clear.

As for the SE-IFR commercial ops in the UK, things are moving in the right direction.

------------------
If you can't save the engine...save the airframe :D

chiglet
9th Jun 2001, 01:26
"Roooomore" is that "Invicta Airways", a caravan operator will start a Manchester-Luton-Exeter-Return service in the next few weeks.
All I can say is:-
we aim to please [it keeps the cleaners happy]

------------------
chiglet

AMEX
9th Jun 2001, 14:56
In the next few weeks ?? Having read news from SETA (single engine turbine alliance), I doubt it will happen in the next few weeks. The regulation won't change before the end of the year at best. Plus if you order a 208 today, it won't be delivered before March 2002.
Also, to get an AOC for a Caravan, you need to have a caravan in order to apply, so since there isn't more than 5 UK reg, this seems unlikely.
Of course if it is a Caravan II (F406), it is a different story (twin engine).
As you said, it is a rumour but I don't think it will go any further than that for at least another year.
Would be nice though as I would then market my services £££.

------------------
If you can't save the engine...save the airframe :D