PDA

View Full Version : question for ATCO

sdr70
12th Jan 2011, 17:51
hello iam a As level that studying: geography, biology, ICT and product design
for my future i want to be an air traffic controller
and i have a few questions that i want to ask.
you might ask me why i want to know these things now and i can tell you that i think i have picked the wrong subject and iam worrying i think i should of taken math for sure and as iam still young i want to find more information about what i need to do, what work experience i need to do and how many i should do. so that i have a better chance of being an ATCO

my question is:
have i taken the wrong subject for A level or any subjects that can help with ATCO ?

for uni i want to study biology because i could work for NHS if i cant get in to ATCO. would it matter what i study in uni?

how many tries can i have for applying ATCO training with NATS?

how many work experience should i have, what type of work experience should i apply for that could help and also do you any of you think i could get an work experience at an airport control tower because i don't think i could.

and do any of you have tips of what i should do so that i have more chance of becoming an ATCO.

i know for a fact that i would need to do at least 2 work experience during my summer holiday and also in my year 13 summer holiday

other information about me are my GCSE result i have got A in math C in english and B in sci (gutted i didn't get a A i got A* in biology A in chem A in phys but my coursework dragged my over grade down :ugh:)

thank you for reading my question and thanks a lot if u have answered some of my question

chevvron
12th Jan 2011, 18:24
It would help if you tried using the 'shift' key on your keyboard.

2.5 miles
12th Jan 2011, 18:37
SDR70

Welcome to pprune!

In answer to some of your questions:

Any level of maths is a good thing for the job, on a daily basis we use simple mental maths for times, speeds, distances etc. Last time I checked the minimum entry requirement was 5 GCSE at "C" or above including Maths and English (Just looked on NATS website and cant find current requirements, plenty of gloss though :) )

A good level of education is important along with a good sense of humour and a lot of common sense.

Yahoo

Learning English would be a good starting point.

The chap lives in Cardiff!! Nuf said!

Crazy Voyager
12th Jan 2011, 19:55
You get 3 attempts to apply with NATS.

eyeinthesky
12th Jan 2011, 21:14
but my coursework dragged my over grade down
UNQUOTE

If that is a trend in your studying, you will find training as an ATCO difficult, as you need to study continuously whilst at the College. There are regular tests.

I have to say that if you produce coursework or an application form in the same style or level of English as in your first post you will struggle to get past first base!

PhiltheReaper
13th Jan 2011, 13:38
On the "subject" (if you'll excuse the pun) of your degree, you can do anything you like, so long as it is respectable.

I'm completing a Music Degree, and I do not expect 'that' fact to contribute to the possibility of my not completing the application process, or the training process thereafter.

Please note: I am not an ATCO at this stage, nor any kind of ATC / Aeronautically trained person. I too am just a hopeful applicant.

Phil

5milesbaby
14th Jan 2011, 07:42
The GCSE's are all they are interested in as said above, 5 grade C's or better with English and Maths included. I got to the 2nd stage while still at 6th form college, and although I wasn't successful that time, went to Uni only to ditch the Uni course after 2 years and am now an ATCO. They weren't interested in anything I studied at A level or Uni other than what would I do if I didn't succeed through the ATC course. It doesn't matter what work experience you do but if you get a written report back, putting a good one into a CV/application will always help.
I know it is only an online unofficial post, but if that is how you normally write, I would start by improving your style.