PDA

View Full Version : How worthwhile is OXFORD on your CV ?

spitfire747
22nd Jan 2002, 01:08
I have been advised by a friend of mine, an ex BA Training Captain amongst others, that i must try my best to go to OXFORD to get my CPL/IR training done.

I know that OXFORD always was a bonus if written onto your CV, but how does this stand today, would i have a bonus over someone who did their CPL/IR ata little known local field training provider.

Just wondered what people actually in the industry thought

THANKS

Pilot Pete
22nd Jan 2002, 04:46
It depends on who is reading the CV. Some would like the structured ab anitio training provided by a school like OATS, others like the commitment and determination shown by the self improver who's done bits here and bits there as and when the money has become available.

The main thing to remember is it doesn't matter what name your cv has on it if it's up against another one with better quantity/quality of hours. In the current market place a fresh CPL with a couple of hundred hours on it from Oxford is sadly not going to cut the mustard with virtually any employers as more experience is out there.

My advice would be to go where you feel you would be best off. If you feel you need the structured environment of a school like OATS, go have a look at them and compare them to the local schools. Perhaps the less 'business orientated' atmosphere of the local club would suit you better.

Good luck with whatever choice you make

PP

spitfire747
22nd Jan 2002, 14:04
Thanks Pete

I realise that the current market is swamped with experienced pilots, but hopefully after 2 or 3 years of flight instructing, i might be in an employable position.. .I take on board what you say about the self improver who has gone the difficult way, bit here bit there, and I can relate well to that.

Oxford has always had a good name because of its use by the airlines Ab initio training, but i am put off about the seniority of students and their priority.. .I am looking at Stapleford in Essex and London Guildhall.

Anyway thanks for all your help

Pilot Pete
22nd Jan 2002, 14:17
Spitfire 747

I did my Navs & Techs at Guildhall back in '97 and had no complaints, I thought it was incredible value for money.

I also went to Oxford to do the 'old' BCPL and Upgrade in order to get a CPL issued asap (ie with only 250hrs). As it happened it worked out fine, but I do not believe that the OATS connections had anything to do with my subsequent employment both in air taxy and then airline.

The first job was being in the right place at the right time and showing the right attitude and the second was down to persistance and making my own luck.

As you are aware the current market is not the best place to be looking for that first job with 200hrs(as it can be now for CPL?) and if you are planning to go flying instructing to build the hours I would go as far to say do not do a complete ab initio course. Time is now on your side (your calculations) so why not do the required modules which I guess will be slightly cheaper and you can get more of the personal touch from a flying club? Also, look at what accomodation is going to cost you if you 'live in' on an ab initio and see if you can do it cheaper via modular.

I would say that by the time you have done a season or two instructing and reached somewhere like 1000hrs prospective employers are going to be more interested in your flying instructor job than where you trained a couple of years previously.

Good luck again

PP

Rowley
22nd Jan 2002, 15:12
Sounds good to me that PP :) .

S747,

Like PP says i think it is better to do the modular route if you want to become a FI.Although you can do the modular at Oxford, you have got to ask yourself if it really is worth the extra they charge.

I hear PAT (Bournmouth) are good down your way.

spitfire747
22nd Jan 2002, 17:33
Rowley

Yes i do agree, i guess old skool - it might have been worth it.

PAT sounds good and has been recommended for CPL/IR

Just gotta get onto the ATPLs at Guildhall and find some cheap tent to live in.

Thanks all

Pilot Pete
23rd Jan 2002, 14:50
Spit

I was lucking in that I lived within commutable distance of Guildhall while I was there.

Try getting a copy of LOOT the free ads paper which I recall had loads of rooms to rent, another option being try to get in touch with others who are going to be on the same course, give it a month or two before the start and see if a number of you can rent a place together or better still find someone on the course who lives nearby and propose 'helping them out with the cost of their course' by renting a room. Might not be ideal but it must be worth a try?

PP

spitfire747
23rd Jan 2002, 21:40
Thanks Pete

Deadleg
24th Jan 2002, 02:00
Most of the 509 F/O I fly with in Brymon seem to me to be ex-Oxford. Are they any better? Well not really, just the same as any others by and large, but if it lands you a job, well..... .Don't know how it will go once we are BRAL(oops CitiExpress).

Chirpy Pilot
24th Jan 2002, 22:26
Fortunately or unfortunately BA Citiexpress are now taking BA Cadets. As BRAL used to take self sponsored 509 students,like myself with low hours, I see now that alot of BA Cadets are coming through our company and onto the turbo prop fleet. Unfortunately I feel that this is another avenue closed for self sponsored people who are just as able and probably more motivated to succeed.